Sport Pilot Final

Old August 13th 04, 03:54 AM
Doug Haluza

Ron Wanttaja wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:06:55 -0700, "Richard Isakson"
wrote:

(ii) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on
water; or

Cool...almost a hundred pounds higher than they originally were talking
about. This lets the Ercoupes in. If you look at EAA's old "These planes
don't qualify" section on this page...

http://www.sportpilot.org/lsa/standard_certificate_aircraft.html

...you'll see there are some Aeroncas, T-Carts, and even a J-3 model that
now qualify.

So here's a question. Many certificated aircraft have multiple gross
weights, one for normal category, and another for utility. If the
normal category gross weight is over 1320 pounds, and the utility
category weight is under, can I fly it as a LSA if I operate it only
in the "utility" category?

BTW, the rule specifies only "maximum takeoff weight" less than 1320
lbs, not "maximum *certificated* takeoff weight" In the preamble text,
it defines "maximum weight" as empty weight+passengers+baggage+full
fuel. Can I compute my own "maximum takeoff weight", based on the
flight requirements?
Old August 13th 04, 06:52 AM
Richard Isakson

"Doug Haluza" wrote ...
So here's a question. Many certificated aircraft have multiple gross
weights, one for normal category, and another for utility. If the
normal category gross weight is over 1320 pounds, and the utility
category weight is under, can I fly it as a LSA if I operate it only
in the "utility" category?

BTW, the rule specifies only "maximum takeoff weight" less than 1320
lbs, not "maximum *certificated* takeoff weight" In the preamble text,
it defines "maximum weight" as empty weight+passengers+baggage+full
fuel. Can I compute my own "maximum takeoff weight", based on the
flight requirements?

From FAR 1.1 General definitions
Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, that, since its original
certification, has continued to meet the following:

(1) A maximum takeoff weight of not more than--

(ii) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on
water; or

As I read this, your airplane has had a max TO weight greater than 1320
pounds and therefore doesn't qualify as an LSA. The FAA had to limit the
weight somewhere and they don't want you to be temped to cheat.

Rich

Old August 13th 04, 11:48 AM
Doug Haluza

"Rich S." wrote in message ...
"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message

Yet, of course, a guy with an identical aircraft licensed prior to the
start of the Sport Pilot regs will need a Private certificate...since he
probably licensed his plane at 1400 pounds.

Interesting scenario, Ron. As far as I know there are only two places where
the aircraft weigt is recorded. One is the data plate which displays the
maximum gross weight and the other is the W&B form. The max gross weight is
builder's choice - I have no idea if it is legal to change this figure. The
W&B form is a "living" document and MUST be changed to reflect the current
W&B of the airplane.

Rich "Calories, it's all about calories" S.

Why not certify it with multiple gross weights, one for LSA and one
for "normal" experimental. Type certified aircraft are often certified
with different max gross for normal and utility catagory.
Old August 13th 04, 03:20 PM
Rich S.

"Doug Haluza" wrote in message
om...

Why not certify it with multiple gross weights, one for LSA and one
for "normal" experimental. Type certified aircraft are often certified
with different max gross for normal and utility catagory.

When speaking of an airplane in the "Experimental - amateur built" category,
there is no requirement I can think of which requires "certification" at any
particular weight. The builder determines the maximum gross weight for the
aircraft (perhaps through the examination of the entrails of a sheep) and
then etches that number on the data plate. I know of no rule which says that
number cannot be adjusted if the builder wants. It is quite possible that
flight testing could reveal the sheep was in error and the darn thing won't
get off the ground at gross weight.

To quote BOb, "If I'm wrong, never mind".

Rich "Still dieting" S.

Pilot Error? Is it Mr. Damron? Badwater Bill Home Built 3 June 23rd 04 04:05 PM
sport pilot humor Occom Home Built 0 April 9th 04 04:22 PM
Sport Pilot Leaves DOT for OMB, Latest News Fitzair4 Home Built 3 December 25th 03 02:49 AM