Anyone got an FCC radio license

Old June 4th 04, 12:52 AM
Robert M. Gary

Default Anyone got an FCC radio license

Has anyone here bothered to get the FCC radio license? I've been going
down to Mexico for awhile and have never heard of anyone down there
ever being asked for one (the officials in Mexico don't even know what
it is).
Has anyone ever heard of anyone being asked for it in Canada?

I'm just wondering if I should throw out the $100 fee before flying up
to Canada. My gut tells me not to worry about it any more than I do in
Mexico.

-Robert
Old June 4th 04, 01:15 AM
Canada Mickey

If stoped for a Ramp check up here, you will be asked for your radio lic.
And yes we know what an FCC radio lic is ;-)

Have a good flight

Richard

om...

Old June 4th 04, 03:19 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Has anyone here bothered to get the FCC radio license?

Which one? If you mean the one for an aircraft, I have one for my Maule. If you mean
the one for the pilot, I do not.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
Old June 4th 04, 07:13 AM
C J Campbell

I would worry considerably less about it than in Mexico. The only time in
recent history that the rule was ever enforced was when a couple of pilots
crossed from Canada into the United States without filing a flight plan or
checking in with Customs. Naturally, they flew the book at them.

The Canadians never check for your radio license. It was the US that looked
for it.

Old June 4th 04, 10:39 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Robert M. Gary wrote:
Has anyone here bothered to get the FCC radio license? I've been going
down to Mexico for awhile and have never heard of anyone down there
ever being asked for one (the officials in Mexico don't even know what
it is).

I have an FCC radio license. No one has ever asked for it here either,
but flying clubs et al. often stress the point you need one, but have
only ever looked at my medical and pilot certificate.

I'm just wondering if I should throw out the $100 fee before flying up
to Canada. My gut tells me not to worry about it any more than I do in
Mexico.

Sounds like it's gone up a bit! Mine was issued on 9/9/1999, and cost
$45.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old June 4th 04, 03:06 PM
Vigo

is a radio license in the states a one time fee, if so I would say just fork
out the cash to cover your a**. what's $100 compared to the fine you could
possibly get when you get checked. I just think if the regs say you have to
have it, then you should have it.

Old June 4th 04, 03:39 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dylan Smith wrote:

I'm just wondering if I should throw out the $100 fee before flying up
to Canada. My gut tells me not to worry about it any more than I do in
Mexico.

Sounds like it's gone up a bit! Mine was issued on 9/9/1999, and cost
$45.

Interesting. Mine cost about $100 back in 1995. At the time, it was required in the
U.S.. The price had been raised about the first of that year, and they had extended
the license period to 10 years (so mine is good for about another year). Shortly
after I bought mine, they made the license optional, but I had not heard that they
reduced the cost at any time.

Old June 4th 04, 03:39 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Vigo wrote:

is a radio license in the states a one time fee, ...

It's good for ten years.

Old June 4th 04, 04:20 PM
Harry Shin

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Vigo wrote:

is a radio license in the states a one time fee, ...

It's good for ten years.

George Patterson
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Hmmm, mine says, "...is valid under Rules and Regulations of the Commission
and for the _lifetime_ of the holder..." (1971 FCC form 753-B)

Harry

Old June 4th 04, 04:47 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , G.R. Patterson III wrote:

Dylan Smith wrote:

I'm just wondering if I should throw out the $100 fee before flying up
to Canada. My gut tells me not to worry about it any more than I do in
Mexico.

Sounds like it's gone up a bit! Mine was issued on 9/9/1999, and cost
$45.

Interesting. Mine cost about $100 back in 1995. At the time, it was required in the
U.S..

We might be talking at cross purposes here; my FCC license is for me as
a radio operator (Restricted Radiotelephone License), you might be
thinking of the one for the plane itself.

Radio License Question Tom Nery Owning 4 September 22nd 03 03:52 PM
Radio station license re-application? Mike Noel Owning 4 August 13th 03 09:40 PM
Radio license required? Marty Ross Instrument Flight Rules 10 July 17th 03 09:58 PM
Radio license required? Marty Ross Piloting 10 July 17th 03 09:58 PM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM