Pilots and Following Sports - Do You?

Old August 21st 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

Default Pilots and Following Sports - Do You?

I don't follow sports and never have short of knowing if the home team
is doing well. Call me a fair weather fan. Many of my friends can
spout which team (pro, college, HS) did what to whom and know all the
players, their stats, etc. I try to put up a good manly face and say
the right things at the right time but basically I could really care
less. I realize that I am in the minority.

Oddly I found that most of my pilot friends are in the same boat. I
took an informal poll at our club and at least 90% of those asked
didn't follow sports. Seems very odd. I wonder what the connection
is? Intelligence? ;-)

Next time you are out at the field, take your own informal pole and
report back. We may have the makings here of a article in Psychology
Today!

- John "No Sports" DeRosa

Old August 21st 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 21, 1:37 pm, ContestID67 wrote:
I don't follow sports and never have short of knowing if the home team
is doing well. Call me a fair weather fan. Many of my friends can
spout which team (pro, college, HS) did what to whom and know all the
players, their stats, etc. I try to put up a good manly face and say
the right things at the right time but basically I could really care
less. I realize that I am in the minority.

Oddly I found that most of my pilot friends are in the same boat. I
took an informal poll at our club and at least 90% of those asked
didn't follow sports. Seems very odd. I wonder what the connection
is? Intelligence? ;-)

Next time you are out at the field, take your own informal pole and
report back. We may have the makings here of a article in Psychology
Today!

- John "No Sports" DeRosa

i think that if some psychologist got ahold of a group of pilots they
could fill volumes of psychology today.

not a real sports fan here either.

Old August 21st 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Being an active soaring pilot seems close to being an all-consuming
passion with a lot of people, as is being a sports fan. Same energy
and zeal but a different focus.

Old August 21st 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
shawn

ContestID67 wrote:
I don't follow sports and never have short of knowing if the home team
is doing well. Call me a fair weather fan. Many of my friends can
spout which team (pro, college, HS) did what to whom and know all the
players, their stats, etc. I try to put up a good manly face and say
the right things at the right time but basically I could really care
less. I realize that I am in the minority.

Oddly I found that most of my pilot friends are in the same boat. I
took an informal poll at our club and at least 90% of those asked
didn't follow sports. Seems very odd. I wonder what the connection
is? Intelligence? ;-)

Next time you are out at the field, take your own informal pole and
report back. We may have the makings here of a article in Psychology
Today!

I'm definitely a fair weather fan, although I will go to pro football
games (the American kind) if my in-laws give up their season tickets for
a game.

I've subscribed to cable to watch the Tour, and canceled service
afterward, and driven hundreds of miles to watch three World Cycling
Championships that have been held in Colorado.
Baseball, what's that, doesn't it go on during the best part of the
soaring season :-)

Shawn

P.S. Stephen Jay Gould was huge big baseball fan, so the interest does
not correlate well with low intelligence.
Old August 21st 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"ContestID67" wrote in message
ups.com...
Oddly I found that most of my pilot friends are in the same boat. I
took an informal poll at our club and at least 90% of those asked
didn't follow sports. Seems very odd. I wonder what the connection
is? Intelligence? ;-)

When I was in the Navy, I was offered a free ride & free admission to a
World Series game. The deal included free beer, and seats in a special compound
ON THE FIELD. I wasn't even tempted. It sounded like a boring way to spend a
day.

I am a lot older now, but nothing has changed my attitude towards spectator
sports.

Vaughn

Old August 21st 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

Does obsessive following of glider contests via the internet count?

Once you "do" any sport like competitive soaring even half seriously,
"watching" other sports loses all interest.

It does make for embarrassing silence when one is expected to
participate in conversation at business lunches.

John Cochrane

Old August 21st 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J a c k

ContestID67 wrote:

I don't follow sports and never have short of knowing if the home team
is doing well.

Come on, John, you must pay some attention to one little niche in
professional sports.

Oddly I found that most of my pilot friends are in the same boat. I
took an informal poll at our club and at least 90% of those asked
didn't follow sports. Seems very odd. I wonder what the connection
is? Intelligence? ;-)

Next time you are out at the field, take your own informal pole and
report back. We may have the makings here of a article in Psychology
Today!

My dad played for the White Sox for a couple of years before going in
the Navy during WW2, so that's one small corner of pro-sports to which I
have a connection--but I don't pay much attention to the details of
today's competition. Strangely enough, perhaps, Dad also paid relatively
little attention to baseball after he moved on from his years in the
game into a more mundane career.

I tend to believe, as another poster here mentioned, that soaring is
absorbing enough that we don't often feel a need to perform, or to
compete, vicariously.

Jack
KJ
Old August 21st 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"ContestID67" wrote in message
ups.com...
Oddly I found that most of my pilot friends are in the same boat. I
took an informal poll at our club and at least 90% of those asked
didn't follow sports. Seems very odd. I wonder what the connection
is? Intelligence? ;-)

"I didn't understand NASCAR until I met some NASCAR fans. You talk to a
couple of NASCAR fans and you'll see where a shiny car driving in a circle
would fascinate them all day."
Alonzo Bodden

I don't follow sports either. On the other hand, I rarely get to fly any
more either --
Perhaps when I retire from racing sailboats...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 21st 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_2_]

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:50:20 GMT, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

"ContestID67" wrote in message
oups.com...
Oddly I found that most of my pilot friends are in the same boat. I
took an informal poll at our club and at least 90% of those asked
didn't follow sports. Seems very odd. I wonder what the connection
is? Intelligence? ;-)

When I was in the Navy, I was offered a free ride & free admission to a
World Series game. The deal included free beer, and seats in a special compound
ON THE FIELD. I wasn't even tempted. It sounded like a boring way to spend a
day.

I am a lot older now, but nothing has changed my attitude towards spectator
sports.

"Spectator sports" is an oxymoron, like "athletic scholarship"...;-)

rj
Old August 22nd 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

IMHO
Sport is something you do, not something you watch.
The first word you learned was MAMA, the second DADA. It's likely the
third word was BALL.
By about age 8 or 10 you should get over playing with a ball.
Jim

mifflin sports class day 3 BB Soaring 0 May 23rd 06 02:24 PM
Sports Class 5 ugly Soaring 3 March 8th 06 01:00 AM
Region 5 Sports samcgiltner Soaring 0 April 29th 04 08:14 PM
Is it time to arm crop duster pilots as well as airline pilots? Larry Dighera Piloting 12 April 6th 04 08:47 PM
Region 5 Sports Sam Giltner Soaring 2 March 19th 04 08:35 PM