OLC/ Open Distance meet Odessa Tx?

Old May 5th 20, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default OLC/ Open Distance meet Odessa Tx?

Hey all
I've always been intrigued by Wally Scott and Co and all the open distance flights they did.
Would pilots be interested in having a meet at Odessa or ? and have a OLC contest and then when the stars aligned go for it downwind?
What do you guys think?
I'd sure like to do 700-800+ miles.
Nick
Old May 5th 20, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020 at 12:39:04 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Hey all
I've always been intrigued by Wally Scott and Co and all the open distance flights they did.
Would pilots be interested in having a meet at Odessa or ? and have a OLC contest and then when the stars aligned go for it downwind?
What do you guys think?
I'd sure like to do 700-800+ miles.
Nick

I would be into a meet at Marfa!!!
Old May 5th 20, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doing a camp out of Refugio TX second week June. A bunch of us 1-26ers are going after the straight line 1-26 distance record. Want to see if we can push it out to 800k. The world hang glider records have been set from there.
Dan
Old May 5th 20, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Refugio TX would be a good place for anyone with a low performance machine to pursue their diamond distance. If interested in joining our camp call me and I will get you some details. Very reasonable tows provided bu the clib there.
Dan phone 702 498 4849
Old May 5th 20, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I’m into it.
Old May 5th 20, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

They were set from Zapata TX
Old May 6th 20, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Jonathan
I think to max out long distance flights you need a couple of aspects; One is the ability to get away early in the day and two, landable terrain downwind in case you bomb out say 10-70 miles from your departure airport.
I don't think Marfa has these quality's, but I'm not sure.
A couple of days ago I was looking at a USA wind chart and there was a fetch of wind straight north to Canada from the Odessa area. It was very even and straight.
I'm interested in doing this and may try to get a meet together in 2021.
I think this time of year might be prime, There's still cold fronts sweeping down to create long south to north prefrontal days and the days are starting to get longer. Need to do more research thou on a optimum starting airport and best likely time of year for good downwind conditions. Kinda like a Dust Devil dash but in the middle of the USA.
Have a OLC camp too for something to do while waiting "For the Day"
I'd like some of the Texas crew chime in on this idea.
Nick

Old May 6th 20, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Odessa, maybe, Marfa probably not (though the Dew Line can create some monster conversions). The biography on Wally Scott contains some suggested start-points. Uvalde might be ripe, but there is no towplane there that I know of.
South-central Texas has extremely reliable cu-streets that run forever; up to 2-3, or 3-5 days/week. The prevailing wind is from the southeast, so Refugio, San Antonio, Houston and Austin Clubs are all good possibilities. I suggest contacting Tony Condon for some advice as he nearly made it to the Gulf Coast from Kansas at least once. I think he will affirm that coming from the south provides greater chance of success as he had to wait several months (years?) before conditions were right to try from the north.
Old May 6th 20, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

I may be up to it if there is a straight out camp later in June.
Is Refugio suitable giving how close to the coast it is?
The hang glider records were all set from Zapata which is further inland but I understand it lacks suitable landout options for the first 50 miles or so. This can be mitigated with an initial high tow followed by a long glide until hitting the boundary layer.

Ramy
Old May 6th 20, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Ramy, the landout terrain of Refugio is one of the reasons we opted for a start from there. As you know, to get record distances from S TX running north requires taking advantage of the real early start and very weak low alt flying the first few hours. Refugio is much more land out friendly for that first hour running north with the wind.

The second factor is the availability of tow services provided by the Refugio soaring club. They have been very accommodating to us and have agreed to make their tow plane available to us for tows the entire week.
Dan