task not completed ClearNavII

Old May 14th 20, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

Default task not completed ClearNavII

I am new to ClearNav2. I have planned and flown two FAI tasks using the ClearNav2. ClearNav gave me a start time and changed from the start to first way point and then to the second way point, and then to the finish but no finish was acknowledged. I had the same task in my Nano and my Oudie, both recorded a completed task and the Oudie gave me a "task finished" announcement. This sequence applies to both flights. When the flights were analyzed on SeeYou, the files from the Nano and Oudie produced task completed analysis while the files from the ClearNav in one case said no valid start and in the other only the start was acknowledged. Does ClearNavII give a task completed statement like the Oudie? This is very frustrating. Please help me figure out what I am doing wrong. I would be happy to email the flight files to anyone who is interested and could help.Thanks ,
BobW
Old May 14th 20, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 5/14/20 8:04 AM, BobWa43 wrote:
[...]

Possibly the infamous backwards time jump that's been discussed at
length? Both LXNav and ClearNav use funky GPS modules that take forever
to get the time right, which causes a backwards jump minutes after
achieving lock.

Try powering on the unit, wait for lock, then wait 10 minutes before
taking off.

-Dave
Old May 14th 20, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I see you also posted the question on the clear nav forum. You'll get some help.
I was frustrated with mine when I first started using it, until I slowly started learning how it worked and what was going on.
You'll get there, and probably like it when you do.
Old May 14th 20, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 10:04:24 AM UTC-4, BobWa43 wrote:
[...]

CN doesn't give a task complete message. I guess the developers thought the typical user wouldn't need that announcement :-).

There is an issue with GPS time offsets as Dave mentions. It doesn't take anything like ten minutes to get the proper time, but it's good practice to have the computer on for at least 5 minutes before flight. The work around in the event of a problem log due to the time jump is to D/L again at 4 second interval. The thing that's coughing up errors in the analysis is an out of sequence time stamp.

best,
Evan Ludeman
Old May 14th 20, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you put the "time since start" or the "time to finish" box on your screen you know the task completed when they stop counting.
Old May 14th 20, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

[...]

Thanks to all who have responded. I do not understand the time stamp problem. Could some one discuss this issue in more detail or point me to the previous discussion.
Old May 14th 20, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 5/14/20 12:57 PM, BobWa43 wrote:
[...]

There was a big discussion "Implausible Time Records" here a year ago.

The gps module (made by U-Blox) gets the time from satellites as soon as
it has position lock, but a few minutes later, a leap second correction
factor is received and makes the time jump backwards a few seconds.
Doesn't seem like a big deal, but causes some of the analysis software
to go bonkers. OLC can show bizarre plots where the entire flight is
compressed into a small portion of the time vs altitude graph for example.

Marotta started that discussion, he was also getting apparent GPS
jamming on parts of his flights, which complicated things.

-Dave
Old May 15th 20, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobWa43

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 11:14:57 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
[...]

" I guess the developers thought the typical user wouldn't need that announcement" Are snide comments like this really necessary?
Old May 15th 20, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 8:26:43 AM UTC-4, BobWa43 wrote:
[...]

Snide? No....

It's pretty /obvious/ to most of us when we finish a task! Putting an announcement on the device is at best a video game like distraction (you're probably busy with your airport arrival & landing).

The purpose of the Nav device is to give the pilot useful information in flight. Whether or not you task is valid, complete and suitable for the record books or daily win is the stuff of post flight analysis.

Evan Ludeman

Old May 15th 20, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

Sorry Evan but I disagree.

I fly with an Oudie 2. It tells me when I finish a task and the average speed on the task upon crossing the finish line. I really like that feature.

I'm not knocking ClearNav for not having it but I do think it would be an improvement to add it.

Lou