Related to my last question about strapping a camera into a Cardinal...

Old November 29th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Related to my last question about strapping a camera into a Cardinal...

Ok, I got the Camera strapped into the cardinal... two legs forward one
leg in the seat and 5 seperate bungee cords... yay.

Heres a question... I don't want to just hear the droning of the
engine... but I also don't want to just hear my clever conversation
with myself, so any ideas from more audio/videophile types on how I
might be able to get both the engine sound and the microphone sound
onto the tape?

I was thinking of recording the engine sepereatley and editing it into
the tape in Adobe, but there has to be a simpler way that it can be
recorded right onto the tape, right?

I'm thinking of putting the whole thing together in a "Top Gear"
Fashion.... anyone ever seen that show? The new one after 2001?

Old November 29th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Beckman

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, I got the Camera strapped into the cardinal... two legs forward one
leg in the seat and 5 seperate bungee cords... yay.

Heres a question... I don't want to just hear the droning of the
engine... but I also don't want to just hear my clever conversation
with myself, so any ideas from more audio/videophile types on how I
might be able to get both the engine sound and the microphone sound
onto the tape?

I was thinking of recording the engine sepereatley and editing it into
the tape in Adobe, but there has to be a simpler way that it can be
recorded right onto the tape, right?

I'm thinking of putting the whole thing together in a "Top Gear"
Fashion.... anyone ever seen that show? The new one after 2001?

It's a difficult proposition with simple consumer cameras that lack multiple
inputs.

One trick I've seen used is to get a small "lavalier" type mic, tuck it
inside one earcup of your headset and jack that into the external mic input.
This will mitigate the engine noise to some degree but still pick up ATC
reception and your own sidetone (when you hear yourself.)

Good Luck,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old November 29th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

any ideas from more audio/videophile types on how I
might be able to get both the engine sound and the microphone sound
onto the tape?

There are a few ways, they all involve mixing at the source.

1: If you have stereo inputs, run the radio into the left channel, and
an audio mic into the right one. You can then mix them later. You may
need to experiment a bit with levels, as the radio is probably line
level and the mic is mic level. To do this you need a Y connector which
will separate the two channels. This is available at Radio Shack.

2: If you don't have stereo inputs, you could try using a regular mono
Y connector to yoke the two sources (mic and radio) into the same input.
You again will need to experiment with audio levels for the same
reasons as above. It's more critical because you can't isolate and mix
later, but it's easier once you've got the balance you want.

3: Get a mixer (cheap at radio Shack, but requires power). Run one
input into each channel, mix them down, and route the output of the
mixer into the camera.

4: Record at least one channel of audio separately with a digital
device. Video and digital will stay in sync for half an hour or more.
I'd reccomend recording the radio into the camera, and the ambient audio
in the digital device, but try both ways. You'll need to edit later to
combine the two channels.

5: Tape a microphone near the speaker, and monitor the audio with the
speaker (as well as the headphone). By putting the mic in different
positions, you can choose the balance you want. Run the mic directly
into the camera's audio input.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old November 29th 06, 07:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks for the advice, I personally prever the mono-y-connector
solution, simple and gets the job done quickly... thanks for your help.

Old November 29th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 28 Nov 2006 22:01:17 -0800, "
wrote in
.com:

Ok, I got the Camera strapped into the cardinal... two legs forward one
leg in the seat and 5 seperate bungee cords

Have you had an opportunity to test this set up? I'm wondering if you
find vibration to be an issue affecting image quality.

Old November 29th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

Larry Dighera wrote:

Ok, I got the Camera strapped into the cardinal... two legs forward
one leg in the seat and 5 seperate bungee cords

Have you had an opportunity to test this set up? I'm wondering if you
find vibration to be an issue affecting image quality.

Probably not if he's using a relatively recent video camera. I've set the
camera on the dash without any additional padding and gotten good results,
too. Frankly, I've had more of an issue with the spinning prop interfering
with image quality than with vibration.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old November 29th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jose" wrote

5: Tape a microphone near the speaker, and monitor the audio with the speaker
(as well as the headphone). By putting the mic in different positions, you
can choose the balance you want. Run the mic directly into the camera's audio
input.

That sounds like the best, and least expensive idea. With a spare headset and a
little thin foam rubber, you could put the camcorder mike inside one earcup,
than put one wrap of foam around it. Experiment , and add more wraps as needed
to muffle the engine noise.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 29th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the advice, I personally prever the mono-y-connector
solution, simple and gets the job done quickly... thanks for your help.

With no adjustability, I would say the chances of hitting on an acceptable
balance level will be slim to none.

There could be feedback problems with the inputs backfeeding from one to the
other, possibly.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 30th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

With no adjustability, I would say the chances of hitting on an acceptable
balance level will be slim to none.

There could be feedback problems with the inputs backfeeding from one to the
other, possibly.

I've plugged one of the cables into the intercom system and I can
adjust volume going into that with the intercom panel and cut out the
cabin speaker to prevent an echo. The second microphone can go to a
poition where the engine noise is best, a little experimentation and
I'm there, I'm going to work on it tomorrow.

PS. Vibration was a non-issue due to the amazingly smooth flat-4 engine
up front; or maybe it's the stabilizer in the Camera? Either way...
it's ok.

Old December 2nd 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bush

We accomplished this years ago utilizing a half-empty tissue box
sitting on the glare shield in order to support the camera steadily.
I found a 6' patch cord at Radio Shack in order to plug into the 1/8"
audio jack, and a 1/4" plug in order to plug into the observers
(Jumpseat) mixer box. The result was perfect audio with no background
noise from four turbines, just a little inverter noise when you keyed
the mike. The training department found out what we were doing and
went nuts "can we get a copy of these" since it can really assist
with new hires and upgrades. MY fave is still the Sunday 7.30 pm
"Whale Walk" at JFK.

Bush