Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

Old April 2nd 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Cirrus Owner Tell His Story

"Jay Maynard" wrote

There's gotta be fire under the smoke; EAA wouldn't be publishing this one
right before Sun n Fun if there weren't some basis for it.

Did you not see what the Florida guberment put out, in response to AOPA's
inquiry?

They WILL NOT have a presence at Sun and Fun. None. Zip. Nada.

No trying to catch anyone with an untaxed plane. No Ramp Checks.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 2nd 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-02, Morgans wrote:
"Jay Maynard" wrote
There's gotta be fire under the smoke; EAA wouldn't be publishing this one
right before Sun n Fun if there weren't some basis for it.

Did you not see what the Florida guberment put out, in response to AOPA's
inquiry?
They WILL NOT have a presence at Sun and Fun. None. Zip. Nada.
No trying to catch anyone with an untaxed plane. No Ramp Checks.

So they claim, at least. I'm not sure I trust them. Would you trust the IRS
if they made a similar statement? EAA has all the reason in the world not to
publicize things that would hurt Sun n Fun, yet they publicized this one.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old April 2nd 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

Default Florida Residency Not Florida Landing Creates Use Taxability

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:37:39 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

WJRFlyBoy wrote:
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:17:16 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

There is no true example of say a pilot from Arkansas purchasing a plane
in FL or Arkansas and then that pilot taking a vacation to FL and
getting taxed.

According to FDOR, they have and will continue to do just that.

FYI, you don't have to bring the aircraft to FL either.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/s...ft_dealer.html

Under most conditions, use tax is due on aircraft brought into Florida
within 6 months from the date of purchase. *However, use tax may be
immediately due if any of the following conditions are met:*

* The aircraft is owned by a Florida resident.
* The aircraft is owned by a corporation and used by a corporate
officer or director who is a Florida resident.
* The aircraft is owned by a corporate entity that has an individual
vested with authority to participate in the management, direction, or
control of the entity's affairs who is a resident of or makes his or her
permanent residence in this state.
* The aircraft is owned by a person, corporation, limited liability
company, partnership, joint adventure, association, syndicate, business
trust, trust, estate, or other form of artificial entity that is not
engaged in Florida in any employment, trade, business, or profession in
which the aircraft will be used.

I think here is the problem. The you are looking at is a page designed
for Florida aircraft brokers and dealers and is written in such a way as
to assume that that is who is reading it

Gig, I am aware of what pages I am reading, I have a notebook of printed
material as a reference. On top of that, I am purchasing a personal and
a business plane, will be attending SnF as it is "up the street" from
me. I have a lot at stake and being wrong isn't a financial option.

Bottom line: aviation accounting and counsel, FDOR, AOPA and EAA have
all expressed the same thing. The jeopardy is there, it is real and the
chances of enforcement are higher than ever.

That's it.
Old April 3rd 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
WJRFlyBoy

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:46:51 -0400, Morgans wrote:

Did you not see what the Florida guberment put out, in response to AOPA's
inquiry?

They WILL NOT have a presence at Sun and Fun. None. Zip. Nada.

No trying to catch anyone with an untaxed plane. No Ramp Checks.
--
Jim in NC

¡§Generally, please know that the focus of the Florida Department of
Revenue¡¦s use tax enforcement activities is on the aircraft with a
significant connection to Florida, not nonresidents with no Florida
connection only here on a temporary basis, and we will not be at Sun ¡¦n
Fun; we do not use ¡¥fly-ins¡¦ as enforcement activities,¡¨ said George
Hamm, the Department of Revenue¡¦s chief assistant general counsel.

http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/articles/2008/080328fl.pdf
Old April 3rd 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Morgans wrote:
"Jay Maynard" wrote

There's gotta be fire under the smoke; EAA wouldn't be publishing this one
right before Sun n Fun if there weren't some basis for it.

Did you not see what the Florida guberment put out, in response to AOPA's
inquiry?

They WILL NOT have a presence at Sun and Fun. None. Zip. Nada.

No trying to catch anyone with an untaxed plane. No Ramp Checks.

And thus no lynchings...

--
(remove the X to email)

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English?
John Wayne
Old April 3rd 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Jay Maynard" wrote

Jay Maynard, K5ZC * * * * * * * * *http://www.conmicro.comhttp://jmaynard.livejournal.com* * *http://www.tronguy.net
Fairmont, MN (FRM) * * * * * * * * * * * *(Yes, that's me!)
AMD Zodiac CH601XLi N55ZC (ordered 17 March, delivery 2 June)

There is a pretty simple solution if you are this worried ,stay
home!!! Not one word of this was murmured at the LSA Expo in January.
The main pot stirrer in this episode has a problem with SnF and not
the Sebring show at least so far.

Frank M.Hitlaw at my Swecret World Hq
Old April 3rd 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:53:29 GMT, Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-02, Morgans wrote:
"Jay Maynard" wrote
There's gotta be fire under the smoke; EAA wouldn't be publishing this one
right before Sun n Fun if there weren't some basis for it.

Did you not see what the Florida guberment put out, in response to AOPA's
inquiry?
They WILL NOT have a presence at Sun and Fun. None. Zip. Nada.
No trying to catch anyone with an untaxed plane. No Ramp Checks.

So they claim, at least. I'm not sure I trust them. Would you trust the IRS
if they made a similar statement? EAA has all the reason in the world not to
publicize things that would hurt Sun n Fun, yet they publicized this one.

I've been generally staying out of this one, but I've got a few comments here.

1. Yes, if a government agency (even the IRS) put out a press release saying
"We won't do 'X' next month," (where 'X' is a very specific action), I believe
they won't. The mainstream media gets REAL excited when they catch government
reps in a bald-faced lie, and doing so is considered a CLM among government
press agents. Dodge, equivocate, yes, but saying "We won't do 'X' next month"
is pretty definitive.

2. I further believe the Florida tax folks in this case, as tourism is a major
Florida industry. I don't think the state and local governments would stand for
it if the tax department decided to disrupt a major event that brings hundreds
of thousands of well-heeled individuals to the state every year.

3. EAA and AOPA's messages are a reaction is due to their *member's* concerns,
not an indicator as to how serious the threat to Sun-N-Fun really was. If the
subject is at least *possible*, they're going to respond to it if enough of
their members ask. And as AvWeb has pointed out, Florida is not the first state
to institute this sort of policy.

Jim Campbell has been printing or posting an annual anti-SnF rant every March
for over ten years now, and having just lost his second lawsuit against them
probably hasn't improved his attitude. He also just got nailed by the Florida
tax folks for a tax lien dating back to the US Aviator days. I suspect the
opportunity to slam both SnF and the Florida tax folks was heaven-sent.

Ron Wanttaja
Old April 3rd 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Ron Wanttaja says...
Jim Campbell has been printing or posting an annual anti-SnF rant every March
for over ten years now, and having just lost his second lawsuit against them
probably hasn't improved his attitude. He also just got nailed by the Florida
tax folks for a tax lien dating back to the US Aviator days. I suspect the
opportunity to slam both SnF and the Florida tax folks was heaven-sent.

What tax lien was that?? It's true that when ever he critizes a company or some
agency he's got a dog in the fight. He's never gone after anyone unless they've
crossed him then he uses the power of the press.Thank God for the Internet.

Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret

Old April 3rd 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-03, Ron Wanttaja wrote:
3. EAA and AOPA's messages are a reaction is due to their *member's* concerns,
not an indicator as to how serious the threat to Sun-N-Fun really was. If the
subject is at least *possible*, they're going to respond to it if enough of
their members ask. And as AvWeb has pointed out, Florida is not the first state
to institute this sort of policy.

Indeed. OTOH, both organizations are going to try to debunk it before
publishing. They didn't, or else they'd have said so.

Jim Campbell has been printing or posting an annual anti-SnF rant every March
for over ten years now, and having just lost his second lawsuit against them
probably hasn't improved his attitude. He also just got nailed by the Florida
tax folks for a tax lien dating back to the US Aviator days. I suspect the
opportunity to slam both SnF and the Florida tax folks was heaven-sent.

Undoubtedly. That doesn't make it automatically wrong, as several folks here
suggest.