Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

Old March 27th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Ammeter

Default A.N.N. BUSTED! Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

Jim Logajan wrote:
wrote:
Again if this issue is 7 months old why didn't it come up during the
Light Sport Expo this January. The only thing I can see is zzzoom
doesn't have a bone to pick with them. Seems to me that if this was as
big a deal it has been made out to be the Florida Dept of Revenue
would have had a field day there.

If you read the AOPA letter to the FDOR it relates that members are "
concerned " about this. I still think that this goes back to one
person yelling fire in the theater and causing a stampede.

I am general agreement with all that.

Two takes:

On one side are those who claim the issue is real and aircraft owners
visiting Florida must be getting hit right and left by zealous tax
collectors (else why would the AOPA and EAA be taking up the issue) so the
"zoom bashers" are obviously blinded by their dislike of the fellow.

On the other side are those who claim the issue concerns long established
law and a few unsubstantiated incidents whose facts are incomplete spread
by a person with a vendetta and reinforced by a large number of people
easily driven to hysteria.

Obviously both sides can be made to look irrational. ;-)

I vote on the side of "a person with a vendetta"

John
Old March 27th 08, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-27, Jim Logajan wrote:
On one side are those who claim the issue is real and aircraft owners
visiting Florida must be getting hit right and left by zealous tax
collectors (else why would the AOPA and EAA be taking up the issue) so the
"zoom bashers" are obviously blinded by their dislike of the fellow.

This is overstating the case a bit. I'm not saying that aircraft owners must
be getting hit right and left; what I am saying is that there's fire beneath
all of the smoke, and dismissing it entirely because Zoom is raising the
issue is wrong. Not even Zoom is wrong 100% of the time.

Put another way, if Zoom came out against the current ADS-B proposal, would
that mean that it was good?

This is one case of one of Niven's Laws: "There is no idea so good that you
cannot find a fool who supports it."
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Old March 27th 08, 08:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-27, WJRFlyBoy wrote:
I was at Naples air this morning, an airport that flies in/out serious
hi $$$ aircraft. Their revenue base is mainly hangar, land and other
rentals. Their nervous about the possibilities and the negative press.

Good. They should be leaning on FDOR to back off. Since they live and work
there, that means they're voters, and can't be brushed off quite as easily
(in theory).
Old March 27th 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Stella Starr" wrote

It's not the only time I've found Boyer over-dramatizing a situation,
like several actions by Minnesota's Metropolitan Airports Commission, just
for the sake of having an issue that looks more controversial than it
really is. "We're bravely fighting for you again this week!"

It's a great organization. I'm just sayin'...

I'm forced to agree with you, on this "broad" concept.....

But...

Just this once! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old March 27th 08, 12:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
The Visitor

Default Just Bought A Plane? STAY OUT OF FLORIDA !

Lawrence wrote:
Copa has advised that Maine may tax CDN aircraft

Yeah I rad about Maine. My understanding is the plane has to be there
for at least 20 days in six months to be hit with the use tax. In a news
paper article my father sent me from Sarasota, some people paid and one
is fighting, or did plan to. A very short sighted policy as one person
did cancel a large business investment. With Florida following suit,
this will be awkward for many but I suppose they will just wait out the
six month period.

John

Old March 27th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Jay Maynard says...

This is overstating the case a bit. I'm not saying that aircraft owners must
be getting hit right and left; what I am saying is that there's fire beneath
all of the smoke, and dismissing it entirely because Zoom is raising the
issue is wrong. Not even Zoom is wrong 100% of the time.

The overstating is being done by zoom. There is a lot of smoke and that's where
zoom operates , in the smoky grey area where he can create his own perception
out of a different reality. zoom put his own spin on this bit of reality in an
effort to harm Sun n Fun. No one said he was totally wrong ,there might be a tax
problem in Florida, it's just that his take on it was tainted by his vendetta
for Sun n Fun. You say even zoom isn't wrong 100% of the time well neither are
the zoom bashers.And we all have good reason not to trust zoom even if he seems
right. It has to do with his credibility as a journalist but that's for another
day.

Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret

"credibility it was always about credibility"

Old March 27th 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-27, ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:
The overstating is being done by zoom. There is a lot of smoke and that's where
zoom operates , in the smoky grey area where he can create his own perception
out of a different reality. zoom put his own spin on this bit of reality in an
effort to harm Sun n Fun. No one said he was totally wrong ,there might be a tax
problem in Florida, it's just that his take on it was tainted by his vendetta
for Sun n Fun. You say even zoom isn't wrong 100% of the time well neither are
the zoom bashers.And we all have good reason not to trust zoom even if he seems
right. It has to do with his credibility as a journalist but that's for another
day.

I'm not saying the folks slamming Zoom are wrong. I understand you've got a
history there that justifies your approach to anything he says.

What I am taking exception to is that you're discounting the whole Florida
affair because of your history with him, even though other, reputable
sources are reporting the same things. If you look past your history with
Zoom, you'll see that there's still a problem, and it needs to be brought
into the light. It's not just Zoom's take on things. If it was, AOPA and EAA
wouldn't be reporting on it. If AOPA and EAA report that it's not a problem,
then and only then will I believe it's not. I don't care what Zoom has to
say about it. I do care what those two organizations say.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old March 27th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

Jay Maynard, K5ZC * * * * * * * * *http://www.conmicro.comhttp://jmaynard.livejournal.com* * *http://www.tronguy.nethttp://www..hercules-390.org* * * * * * * (Yes, that's me!)
Buy Hercules stuff athttp://www.cafepress.com/hercules-390

Jay,

I don't think anybody has a problem with ANN reporting the issue.
That is not a problem at all and it rightfully should be reported.
The issue that many of us have is that instead of just reporting the
problem and trying to promote a solution, ANN used it as yet another
excuse to try and destroy the Sun-N-Fun flyin. Instead of encouraging
all involved to contact Florida and others who might be able to
promote a solution, Campbell instead decided to encourage people to
stay away from Sun-N-Fun with that as an added threat.

A.N.N. and Campbell are like a stopped clock, it is 100% correct twice
a day but otherwise good for nothing.

Old March 27th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Maynard

On 2008-03-27, BobR wrote:
I don't think anybody has a problem with ANN reporting the issue.
That is not a problem at all and it rightfully should be reported.
The issue that many of us have is that instead of just reporting the
problem and trying to promote a solution, ANN used it as yet another
excuse to try and destroy the Sun-N-Fun flyin. Instead of encouraging
all involved to contact Florida and others who might be able to
promote a solution, Campbell instead decided to encourage people to
stay away from Sun-N-Fun with that as an added threat.

If you knew that you were going to get slapped with a five-figure tax bill
you otherwise wouldn't owe just for flying to Sun n Fun, would you go?

I don't care about Zoom's motives. I don't care that it was Zoom who broke
the story. I don't care about his choice of timing. I do care that there's a
problem that's real enough to get AOPA and EAA involved. If they find it's
groundless, I'll stop worrying, no matter what Zoom has to say about it.

A.N.N. and Campbell are like a stopped clock, it is 100% correct twice
a day but otherwise good for nothing.

Perhaps. Even so, you can't ignore this one just because Zoom reported it
because others who actually have credibility are also reporting it. If it
was just Zoom, things might well be different.