What was he/she doing? No radio,

Old January 1st 05, 10:46 AM
Cub Driver

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:24:02 -0800, "NW_PILOT"
wrote:

an aircraft on the runway it looked like super cub or something
with big tires practicing either high-speed taxiing on the runway or
simulated engine outs and bouncing?

If the plane was newish, it might have been an Aviat Husky with tundra
tires. I've never landed a Husky on asphalt, so this is only hearsay,
but I understand that tundra tires can slingshot the plane into the
air on landing. The big tires evidently store up energy, then release
it. Perhaps your guy was trying to get the hang of landing on his new?
$4,000 tires, and he did it at one a.m. so nobody would see?

Little did he know that Usenet is everywhere!

Old January 1st 05, 10:48 AM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 06:14:21 GMT, tony roberts
wrote:

I was puzzled, and still am, as to why anyone would go to the airport
at 0100 hrs to top up their tanks.

He wanted to push the bill into 2005?

Old January 1st 05, 04:06 PM
C J Campbell

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Went out to the airport this morning about 1:00 am to top off my tanks,

That is pretty funny. YOU were wondering what the other guy was doing out
there at 1:00 am, but you just needed to top off your tanks at that time of
the morning.

Maybe he just needed to do some high speed taxi tests on his new homebuilt.
Perhaps he planned to do the tests, go home and catch a few winks, then some
initial flight tests on New Years Day.

Old January 1st 05, 04:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

NW_PILOT wrote:

Any logic or ideas what he/she was doing this for???

Maybe getting paid by a land developer to **** off the neighbors?

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old January 1st 05, 08:00 PM
NW_PILOT

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

NW_PILOT wrote:

Any logic or ideas what he/she was doing this for???

Maybe getting paid by a land developer to **** off the neighbors?

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble

enterprise.

Not many homes by this airport! Dont give any developers any ideas please.

Old January 1st 05, 08:16 PM
NW_PILOT

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Went out to the airport this morning about 1:00 am to top off my tanks,

That is pretty funny. YOU were wondering what the other guy was doing out
there at 1:00 am, but you just needed to top off your tanks at that time

of
the morning.

Maybe he just needed to do some high speed taxi tests on his new

homebuilt.
Perhaps he planned to do the tests, go home and catch a few winks, then

some
initial flight tests on New Years Day.

C J, It may be time for you to get some remedial training at time telling &
what day it is. Plus the airplane departed the airport on his final run not
sure if he returned or not.

This just seemed odd at 1:00in the morning and was very interesting to
watch. His ground rool was nothing at all I wish my C-150 had that short of
a ground roll.

Old January 3rd 05, 03:14 AM
Jeff Franks

I'm thinking that maybe he hadn't been night current for some time and was
trying to make up for all the lost time

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
Went out to the airport this morning about 1:00 am to top off my tanks,
there was an aircraft on the runway it looked like super cub or something
with big tires practicing either high-speed taxiing on the runway or
simulated engine outs and bouncing? I turned on my scanner to find out

what
he was doing but there was no radio comm's. I sat in the car and watched
about 10 of these high speed runs he/she seemed to only get the main about
10-50' off the ground hold for a bit then idle to full stop at the end of
the runway then he would taxi back to 08 and do it again. 11th or 12 time
he/she departed and was gone.

Any logic or ideas what he/she was doing this for??? was a dam nice

looking
& sounding aircraft you could here the changes in his/her CS prop during
his/her run-up each time he did his runs down the runway and sounded like

it
had a large engine.

I am thinking maby he/she was doing some aircraft testing but at 1 Am in

the
morning??

Old January 16th 05, 10:43 PM
clyde woempner

What airport?? My wife & I watched a fellow at our airport (fot) doing
touch & goes with no communication, no nav lights, no runway lights on a
moon light overcast night. The only time this person used a light was just
before touch down, a landing light came on and then off right after touch
down. This took place about 11:00 PM, a couple of years ago.
Clyde

Old January 18th 05, 10:37 PM

Maybe the guy works night shift and this was his afternoon. My SO and I
both worked 2nd shift and got home after midnight and had the grill lit
cooking steaks at 2am many nights. We also swam in the pool and
generally did stuff in the middle of the night that normal people did
in the afternoon. This included going for a ride in the plane. It's
really nice to have an uncontrolled field all to yourself. My SO likes
the landings the most so we would spend an hour or two just doing touch
and go's.
I wouldn't think the guy at 1am doing training strange, the guy with
the daytime job fueling his C-150 at 1am is strange.