Soaring in Mexico

Old November 16th 03, 11:33 PM
Bob2nd

Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind, I recall an article, I think in Soaring
within the last 10 years or so, about a club not too far north of Mexico City.
Don't remember what equipment they had, but I vaguely remember something about
somebody with a Libelle.

Take it for what it is worth and consider the source.............

Old November 17th 03, 11:52 AM
Marcel Duenner

There was a Mexican who competed at the Worlds in New Zealand in 1995.
His name is Roberto Sada Salinas. According to
http://acro.harvard.edu/SOARING/JL/A...LVER/1960.html
he was awarded his Silver Badge in 1960 by the SSA though.
Old November 17th 03, 08:22 PM
C.Fleming

I soar in Mexico all of the time!

Did I get your attention? Ok, I'll come clean: I launch from El Paso, TX,
and take full advantage of (CFR 99.1) that says that as long as I stay
within 10nm of my launch field, I can cross the ADIZ freely. During the
winter months with weak instability, I scratch my way across the border and
find stronger thermals where the Mexican's are burning brush along the Rio
Grande. During stronger soaring conditions I can't cross the ADIZ, because
I fly much greater distances, and don't meet the requirements of (CFR 99.1).

The area surrounding Chihuahua, Mexico looks awesome for soaring, and I've
strongly considering getting a self-launching 18m sailplane to take
advantage of it. There are massive lines of rugged mountains that certainly
have strong slope-induced thermals during the summer. I'm sure Mexico has a
bright soaring future!

Chris Fleming, 'L9'

"Arnold Pieper" wrote in message
om...
Anybody knows about Soaring places in Mexico ?

I never heard of anything there...

Arnold