Certificate- Wallet or Bag?

Old January 25th 04, 02:29 PM

Default Certificate- Wallet or Bag?

Yea! With my change of address I am finally relieved of the old
dot-matrix paper certificate. The fancy new holographic plastic
license came in today's mail! I get to write my name right over ole
Wilber n' Orville! (Made my pilgrimage to Kiity Hawk in November)

Question

Where do you keep your certificate? I have always read that if
stopped by the police on the road they have the right to "see" your
license (AOPA decal in rear window). We've also been cautioned to just
let the officer "see" the certificate and never to actually "hand" it
over. Since we must have it with us when we fly, is it better to keep
it in the flight bag as I've always done? I don't always have the bag
in the car.

I guess I really already know the answer.... just excited to finally
have something to be proud of after all these years. But I AM curious.
Where do you keep yours?

Robert Haigh
LWM 'n BED
Old January 25th 04, 03:07 PM
Chuck

wrote in message
om...
[...]

I'm not a pilot, but I keep my A&P in my wallet.

One thing they drilled into us during FAR's at A&P school is that any law
enforcement officer can ask to see the license.

Old January 25th 04, 03:19 PM
Jeff Franks

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Robert, but your about to get flamed.

This group historically looks down on anyone who likes their license/cert to
be something worth showing off. We're supposed to spend $5k on our
hobby/profession, then tuck it in our wallet and never let it out. As
pilots, we're above such petty things...............yea....right.

As for your question, I think its a bit of overthinking. My understanding
of the Fed's rules is that only a representative of the administrator can
require you to show it....but that was pre-9/11. Depending on your state
laws, yes, a cop can ask to see your certificate, but why would he? If you
were at the airport or on the ramp, then I might understand their need...er
desire to prove who you are. But just driving down the road, I can't
imagine a policeman so hardup as to ask for your license based on your AOPA
sticker. Heck, I was a AOPA member for 15 years before I was a AO or a P
Just tell them your a wannabe.

jeff

Truth be known, most local police probably don't know that they have the
"right" to ask for it.
wrote in message
om...
[...]

---

Old January 25th 04, 03:27 PM
Jeff Franks

Thanks Mrs. Ellis. I hope to do better in the fourth grade.

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 7...
"Jeff Franks" wrote

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Robert,
but your about to get flamed.

No, but you are. You're = you are, not your.

Bob Moore

---

Old January 25th 04, 03:30 PM
Jeff Franks

The only time I've ever been around anyone rampchecked, the FAA dude (did I
spell that right?) asked to see his "license". we all know the official
term is a certificate, its pointed out anytime anyone calls it anything but.
BTW, does anyone call you Bob?

"Robert Moore" wrote in message
. 7...
wrote

Where do you keep your certificate? I have always read that if
stopped by the police on the road they have the right to "see" your
license (AOPA decal in rear window).

But you are required to have the certificate (it is not a "license")
in your possesion only when exercising the previleges of the certificate.
If you are not acting as a required crewmember under the FAR, it can
just as well be at home in the drawer.

Bob Moore
ATP CFI

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old January 25th 04, 03:33 PM
TaxSrv

wrote in message
om...
... I have always read that if
stopped by the police on the road they have the right to "see" your
license (AOPA decal in rear window). We've also been cautioned to

just
let the officer "see" the certificate and never to actually "hand"

it
over. Since we must have it with us when we fly, is it better to

keep
it in the flight bag as I've always done? I don't always have the

bag
in the car.

Who dreamt that one up? As clearly worded in state laws, local law
enforcement could only request to see the cert either before clearly
about to operate an aircraft or after observed having done so, or
stopped while taxiing. Or on the runway during takeoff like Walker
Texas Ranger does. Keep it in your wallet, though. If you leave your
flight bag in the FBO and land at a place where FAA is doing ramp
checks, you're going to have a Homer Simpson moment.

Fred F.

Old January 25th 04, 04:00 PM
C J Campbell

If a law enforcement officer asks to see your certificate and you don't
happen to have it with you, what is he going to do about it? Report to the
FAA that you were driving too fast without a pilot's license?

Keep your certificate wherever you can be sure it will be with you when you
are going flying, and stop worrying so much.

Old January 25th 04, 04:10 PM
Jürgen Exner

Chuck wrote:
wrote in message
om...
Where do you keep your certificate? I have always read that if
stopped by the police on the road they have the right to "see" your
license (AOPA decal in rear window).

You need a pilot certificate when driving a car? Which country are you from?
If you are talking about the USA then would you mind posting a pointer to
the relevant FAR paragraph?

Oh, and what about when you are selling the car to a non-pilot? Are you/is
he legally required to remove the AOPA sticker?

I'm not a pilot, but I keep my A&P in my wallet.

One thing they drilled into us during FAR's at A&P school is that any
law enforcement officer can ask to see the license.

That's right. _When_your_are_executing_the_privileges_of_this_li cense then
any law enforcement officer may request to see your license.
But since when do you need a A&P or a pilot certificate for driving a car?
Well, maybe for the car in "The Man with the Golden Gun", but otherwise?

jue

Time for certificate issuance? Jeremy Lew Instrument Flight Rules 5 July 21st 04 04:11 PM
PA-32 on Experimental Certificate Mike Granby Owning 3 July 21st 04 03:04 AM
new airmen certificate dave Piloting 12 January 16th 04 09:00 PM
Obtaining Flight Instructor Certificate Chris Piloting 36 December 1st 03 11:51 PM