Question from a new flight student (whopping 7 hours!)

Old October 15th 04, 03:35 PM
Gary G

Default Question from a new flight student (whopping 7 hours!)

Question from a new flight student (whopping 7 hours!)

I was looking at the AOPA airport info.

ANP and W29 don't list AWOS or ATIS freqs.

That seems pretty critical.

So - where does one download "better" info so you can get local weather

freqs?

Maybe there is an "official" site? FAA?

Here is a link that's pretty good.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/W29

http://www.airnav.com/airport/ANP

http://www.airnav.com/airport/FDK

Question is - would you bet your life on this site or others?

Thanks!

Gary

Old October 15th 04, 03:56 PM
Roger Long

Only bet your life on what you can see out the window! They are all only
forecasts.

--

Roger Long

Old October 15th 04, 04:04 PM
Bob Moore

in :

So - where does one download "better" info so you can get
local weather freqs? Maybe there is an "official" site? FAA?

There is an "official" publication, the Airport and Facility
Directory. (A/FD)

Bob Moore
Old October 15th 04, 04:11 PM
Gary G

I mean airport info - not weather info.
Like radio freqs, etc.
AWOS and ATIS often has other info like pattern info, noise abatement, and
wind info - active runway.
You know the drill . . .I'm sure!
Old October 15th 04, 05:02 PM
John Kirksey

"Gary G" wrote in message
Question from a new flight student (whopping 7 hours!)

I was looking at the AOPA airport info.

ANP and W29 don't list AWOS or ATIS freqs.

That seems pretty critical.

So - where does one download "better" info so you can get local weather

freqs?

I found a cool site, www.myairplane.com, that appears to have just about all
approach plates and for most of the airports in the US, and airport diagrams
for many of them as well. They even have the sectional charts online in a
digital format that lets you zoom in/out and pan around all of the sectional
charts.

According to the RNAV(GPS) Rwy 30 approach plate there is no ATIS/ASOS/AWOS
for ANP. It says to either get it from the CTAF or to use BWI's.

All that being said, the best way to ensure you have the most up to date
info is to order hard copies of sectionals, approach plates, and/or an A/F
directory. Actually even that isn't true - the best way is to call ahead to
a destination airport and ask! I don't think I'd actually use anything that
I downloaded/printed off the web for navigational or informational purposes.
That site is great if I just wanna print off the approach plates for BOS on
my 757 run from PHL (Flight Sim, of course ;-)

John K.
Student Pilot - Past, Present, and Future

Old October 15th 04, 05:09 PM
Bob Gardner

You know something, Gary? There was a time when there was no such thing as
ATIS or AWOS, and we managed to fly anyway. Taking my elbow out of your
ribs, your best source of info is the Airport/Facility Directory (and we
didn't have that in its present convenient form back in the old days
either).

Bob Gardner

Old October 15th 04, 05:12 PM
C J Campbell

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
You know something, Gary? There was a time when there was no such thing as
ATIS or AWOS, and we managed to fly anyway. Taking my elbow out of your
ribs, your best source of info is the Airport/Facility Directory (and we
didn't have that in its present convenient form back in the old days
either).

I will bet those stone tablets were a real pain, eh, Bob?

Old October 15th 04, 05:51 PM
Roger Long

Oops! Another shot from the hip going over the backstop.

This is a good site:

http://www.airnav.com/

It isn't official so you should verify critical information with your AFD.
The printouts are much easier to read in the cockpit however.
--

Roger Long

Old October 15th 04, 06:16 PM
Jim Fisher

Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
in :

So - where does one download "better" info so you can get
local weather freqs? Maybe there is an "official" site? FAA?

There is an "official" publication, the Airport and Facility
Directory. (A/FD)

No, no, no. That simply won't do, Bob. We pilots have outgrown such quaint
publications. Who would want to spend literally dozens of dollars a year on
a silly book?

--
Jim Fisher