Flying to Alaska info

Old May 23rd 05, 08:36 PM

Default Flying to Alaska info

Hey all... awhile back I posted about my proposed flight from Virginia to
southeast Alaska (specifically, Juneau). I used to live there so I'm aware of the
weather potential. I'm thinking of staging from the interior of BC (Atlin, perhaps)
and coming down Taku inlet or White pass if the weather's too low to go over the
icefield but not too low to safely come down the pass. Thoughts?

Also, I just recently heard about the "Alaska Airmen's Association Logbook."
Apparently the Milepost for pilots. Is this really the indispensible guide like the
Milepost is for driving? I saw (after some searching) that the '94 edition was the
latest as of '99. New ones available and comments?

Thanks,
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old May 23rd 05, 11:16 PM
Mike Rapoport

Having lived in Juneau, you are probably years ahead of anybody on this list
with your question. The only reason I'm even posting a reply is so that I
can request the you post a trip report!

Mike
MU-2

Old May 23rd 05, 11:35 PM

Hey all... awhile back I posted about my proposed flight from

Virginia to
southeast Alaska (specifically, Juneau). I used to live there so I'm

aware of the
weather potential. I'm thinking of staging from the interior of BC

(Atlin, perhaps)
and coming down Taku inlet or White pass if the weather's too low to

go over the
icefield but not too low to safely come down the pass. Thoughts?

I think the weather will make your decision for you. I flew the
White Pass route several times when I was there and when the weather
was good, it was a piece of cake. When the weather was marginal, there
weren't a whole lot of options. Any coastal WX system tends to fill up
the passes with low hanging clouds. If you know for sure there are
breaks ahead, you can go over the top. Otherwise, you're done for the
day (assuming you're VFR).

Also, I just recently heard about the "Alaska Airmen's Association

Logbook."
Apparently the Milepost for pilots. Is this really the indispensible

guide like the
Milepost is for driving? I saw (after some searching) that the '94

edition was the
latest as of '99. New ones available and comments?

That '99 reference was probably from me wasn't it? Thanks to a
rec.aviation* poster, I was able to borrow the old version of the
Logbook for my trip. Since then, I've pestered a few people at the
Alaska Airmen's Assoc. without success. Initially, they told me the
were working on an updated version for release in 2001, then 2002, and
so on...

If you do locate an updated version please post details here. I'd
like to get one. It was one of the more valuable resources that I took
on my trip.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 24th 05, 02:52 AM
Doug

I've flown to Alaska twice and Canada twice in my Husky. Nice trip. One
thing I will point out. The tradewinds south to north along the coast,
and west to east inland (usually). I have flown the Alaska Highway, the
Cassiar Highway, and up and down the coast. The route you are
describing is doable, like they say, all depends on the weather. You
might consider going to Seattle and up the coast, I don't know how much
further it would be. I'd fly inland on the return trip. I used the
Milepost, this is the first I've heard of the Alaska Airmens book.
Where do you get IT?

Old May 24th 05, 11:34 AM

: I think the weather will make your decision for you. I flew the
: White Pass route several times when I was there and when the weather
: was good, it was a piece of cake. When the weather was marginal, there
: weren't a whole lot of options. Any coastal WX system tends to fill up
: the passes with low hanging clouds. If you know for sure there are
: breaks ahead, you can go over the top. Otherwise, you're done for the
: day (assuming you're VFR).
:
Unfortunately, I'm aware the weather will make the decision... As I
recall, there tended to be two different types of overcast days. The low-hanging,
droopy, bulbous overcast, and the (relatively) high, flat overcast. The former will
likely fill up the passes and preclude entry, but hopefully the latter will allow a
reasonable down through either pass. I was just thinking Taku inlet since I'll be
coming from the highway (or Atlin), and it's quite a bit wider than White Pass. If
the weather's glorous, a run straight over the icefield is something I've always
wanted to do. The peaks are only 4-6000, so if CAVU it should be reasonable.

I looked into the IFR, but unless you're big iron (read: AK airlines and super
D-GPS they've been working on since we moved there in '92) you're pretty much stuck
with relatively high minimums. Of the three published approaches (GPS, ADF, LDA),
we're only equipped for the LDA and it only gets you to 2200' or so. Ironically, the
ADF is the lowest of all of them! With few airway routes, MEAs from 8-10k, and summer
temps often 50-60 degrees, I don't think a non-deiced PA-28-180 is up for a full IMC
approach. It's gotta be a pretty good VFR day to get in IFR.

[...]

I think it was your reference. I hadn't heard of the Airmen's Association or
the Logbook until yesterday when I was phoning AOPA and the AK-FSDO's for "general
information packets" on the trip. When I called the Airmen's, I was told of the
logbook and that I could order one. I didn't get one (will today), but I didn't know
to ask about the revision year, either. I'll find out when I call them up today and
post back.... (stupid 4-hour time difference...

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old May 24th 05, 11:44 AM

Doug wrote:
: I've flown to Alaska twice and Canada twice in my Husky. Nice trip. One
: thing I will point out. The tradewinds south to north along the coast,
: and west to east inland (usually). I have flown the Alaska Highway, the
: Cassiar Highway, and up and down the coast. The route you are
: describing is doable, like they say, all depends on the weather. You
: might consider going to Seattle and up the coast, I don't know how much
: further it would be. I'd fly inland on the return trip. I used the
: Milepost, this is the first I've heard of the Alaska Airmens book.
: Where do you get IT?

Interesting though... I may look into it. I didn't think there would be much
of a difference in the prevailing winds between the coastal and inland routes. I
didn't consider the coastal route due to the longer distance and longer distance with
the gloopy weather. We're not going to be on a "retirement" timeframe, so the
more direct inland route is more likely. Looks like it's about 350 nm further to go
via SEA than a direct route.

I was thinking of taking the Cassiar either up or down. Get a change of
scenery on the interesting (i.e. non-plains) part of the trip. I'd like to hear about
the differences between the routes. Cassiar's definately more desolate and probably
higher terrain?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old May 25th 05, 02:19 AM
Doug

Cassiar is actually prettier. The Alaska highway is more "historic".
From a historic perspective go up the Alaska highway and down the coast

to Prince Rupert, then inland to the Prince George, pick up the trans
Canada highway through the mountains to Calgary (freakin GORGEOUS),
then on back home.

The coast is neat but nerve wracking flying over the water. There are
a couple of highways to the coast, though none of them go to Juneau
from generally the Whitehorse area. Its all flyable, given good
weather. File flight plans and bring a satellite phone (you can rent
them) for max safety.

If you get the Jepp Flight planner program, you can plan your flight
really well. Its all on there.

After my two trips, I bought floats for my Husky.

But no matter how you do it, it's gorgeous.