Fuel Gauge Inop VFR Day

Old October 15th 05, 12:44 AM
Ice blonde

I do believe Mike Flyin'8 was making a play on words....

Fuel is no doubt more important than the fuel gauge. Altitude indicator is
a required instrument for VFR Day but the Attitude indicator is not.

The attitude indicator is not at all important for day VFR flying, which
is what the context of the OP was. In IFR conditions, the fuel gauge is
very important.

Regards

Old October 15th 05, 01:04 AM
Ron Natalie

George Patterson wrote:
rps wrote:
As far as I can tell, the regs say that a fuel gage is required and
operable. It doesn't say that it has to be accurate.

It says it has to report the quantity of fuel in the tank. It cannot do
that if it is not accurate. A broken gauge certainly doesn't meet this
requirement.

But to what precision? My guages are at best accurate within 10%.
Old October 15th 05, 01:11 AM
Morgans

"Ice blonde" wrote

I mean, if you know how much fuel you have, and how long it will keep
you in the air, could you gauge it by time?

Ahh, grasshopper, but what you say may make too much sense. Don't confuse
it with regulations required by the FAA. g
--
Jim in NC

Old October 15th 05, 01:24 AM
Jose

I do believe Mike Flyin'8 was making a play on words....

I guess I didn't have the altitude.

Jose
Old October 15th 05, 03:03 AM
George Patterson

No arguement from me. It just seems that a fuel gauge is not as important
as the attitude indicator yet the attitude indicator is not required.

Don't know about you, but I never use or need the AI for VFR flight. And if
you're trying IFR flight, it *is* required.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 15th 05, 03:06 AM
George Patterson

Ron Natalie wrote:

But to what precision?

Fortunately for the owners of many older aircraft, the FAA doesn't specify the
precision.

Old October 15th 05, 03:07 AM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

Could you not empty the fuel tank, and then, the fuel gauge pointing to
empty is correct?

That would seem to meet the letter of the law.

Old October 15th 05, 03:39 AM
Newps

No arguement from me. It just seems that a fuel gauge is not as important
as the attitude indicator yet the attitude indicator is not required.
Though fuel is a major part of keeping you in the air as opposed to in the
ground.

Why is an attitude indicator even desirable in day VFR?

Old October 15th 05, 03:58 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

No arguement from me. It just seems that a fuel gauge is not as important
as the attitude indicator yet the attitude indicator is not required.
Though fuel is a major part of keeping you in the air as opposed to in the
ground.

Why is an attitude indicator even desirable in day VFR?

Just in case I guess. Not like I really even use it except during
practice of steep truns to get the visual picture of the proper bank
angle.

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old October 15th 05, 03:59 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

No arguement from me. It just seems that a fuel gauge is not as important
as the attitude indicator yet the attitude indicator is not required.

Don't know about you, but I never use or need the AI for VFR flight. And if
you're trying IFR flight, it *is* required.

I don't use it much myself, and I'm not IFR qualified.

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com

Time, running out of fuel and fuel gauges Dylan Smith Piloting 29 February 3rd 08 07:04 PM
Cherokee Fuel Gauge Mike Spera Owning 6 July 15th 05 05:30 AM
Is Your Airplane Susceptible To Mis Fu eling? A Simple Test For Fuel Contamination. Nathan Young Piloting 4 June 14th 04 06:13 PM