What would you pay?

Old December 10th 05, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What would you pay?

From the standpoint of the paint, it is generally financially better to
let it
sit outside than to pay hangar rent. Of course other weather things
(potential hail
damage, ice/snow removal), the convenience of indoor work, etc may be
worth a lot to
some. For me, hangars are unavailable, and being outside isn't that big
of a deal. A
$100 cover keeps the sun off the avionics and upholstery.

Don't forget all the "intangibles" that come with having a hangar. Being
in a row of T-hangars is like docking your boat on a lake. Your neighbors
are instantly your friends, and everyone has an equal footing from which to
start, whether you're a bank president or a lowly innkeeper.

Grilling out at the hangar usually means an instant gathering, as the
airport bums are drawn to the smell of burgers and free beer. We've solved
all the world's problems in our hangar, and strategized many a business
decision in Atlas' shadow.

A place to keep your "stuff" is worth a lot, too. Riding lawn mowers fit
under the wings, motorcycles fit in the back, and our Mustang fits nicely
where the kitchen usually "lives" in summer. (We just take down the kitchen
table, and drive the car in...)

Having a living "diary" is worth something, too. We've got 8.5 x 11 inch
photos of every place we've flown, and every person we've flown with, on the
walls of our hangar. (I covered the walls with 1" styrofoam/fiberglass
insulation board, to which we staple all the photos.) It's collectively
called our "Wall of Shame", and it's absolutely priceless to us, as we can
look back and see how the kids have grown, and reminisce about great flights
and wonderful people who are no longer with us... The walls really can
"speak", and they are great conversation starters.

There is SO much more to a hangar than just an "airplane garage."

Some people have a lovely cottage on a lake -- we have a tin shack on a
strip of asphalt. But I know where I'd rather hang out!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 10th 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

New hangars came available at the airport I fly out of and I
bought two. The rent on one pays for the annual costs for both. 39 T
hangars sold in in about two weeks.

How does that work, Dave? Is this a private airport, or municipal?

Our airport has talked about selling hangars to tenants, but it always gets
swept aside as being unworkable.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 10th 05, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Kobra" wrote in message
Hangar tenents,

Hypothetical situation: You're in a hangar. There are no more hangars
for 100 miles. There is a waiting list for a hangar just as long. There
are plenty of tie-downs for a poultry 70.00 per month. Just out of
curiosity ... what would be the magic price of hangar rent that would make
you say, "THAT'S IT!! I'M OUTTA HERE!! YOU CAN HAVE THE HANGAR...GIVE ME
A FRICKIN' TIE-DOWN."

There's advantages of being in the middle of nowhere...

When I first bought my plane, I had it in a large 3-sided hangar that held a
half dozen planes in McAllen for $90/month. It'd take about 15 minutes to
jockey the planes around to get mine out from the back at times.

When I moved to Iowa, I shared a hangar with a Cardinal. My plane was behind
the Cardinal and I would have to pull it out first, then my plane then put
it back. It was a hassle at times but only $35/month.

I then moved to southern Minnesota and at the time the only hangar available
in the area was at a grass strip about 30 miles away. $45/month for the
t-hangar.

A hangar opened up at the local airport for $50/month. This made it more
convenient when the plane and I were in the same town.

I moved again and the plane is again 30 miles away; still at the same
airport. The local airport is building some new hangars that will be
available this spring. When the new hangars are done, I'll move my plane
here to one of the older hangars for $70/month.

-Greg B.

Old December 10th 05, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Don't forget all the "intangibles" that come with having a hangar.
.snipped lots of advantages

Yep. I fully agree. I curse every time I have to do some "simple"
operation like airing up the tires outside on a 12 degree windy day
(like today).

But $5 grand a year?

That buys a LOT of maintenance and upgrades.

As far as the companionship, our hangars are somewhat isolated so you
would rarely even see another soul.

With the house being under 2 miles away, I can pretty much run back home
for whatever I need. Folks further out say this can be a real pain when
you try to do some PM, forget this or that tool, and have to make a 1
hour plus round trip to get it.

Anyway, my personal "break even" point is about %250. Like I said, we
have "old" hangars for that price, but you cannot get one. The lease
allows subletting so when an owner sells their plane, they usually
"sell" the hangar with it.

Mike
Old December 10th 05, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
New hangars came available at the airport I fly out of and I
bought two. The rent on one pays for the annual costs for both. 39 T
hangars sold in in about two weeks.

How does that work, Dave? Is this a private airport, or municipal?

Our airport has talked about selling hangars to tenants, but it always
gets swept aside as being unworkable.

I've seen a few places that have privately owned hangars on municipal/public
airports. Check out Morningstar in Des Moines sometime. When I had my plane
at Sleepy Eye (y58), I rented one of the three spots in a hangar from the
hangar owner. He also offered to sell me a third of the hangar. I didn't buy
it; I'm now 60+ miles from there.

-Greg B.

Old December 10th 05, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

New hangars came available at the airport I fly out of and I bought two.
The rent on one pays for the annual costs for both. 39 T hangars sold in
in about two weeks.

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
How does that work, Dave? Is this a private airport, or municipal?

Our airport has talked about selling hangars to tenants, but it always
gets swept aside as being unworkable.

At ANE (Anoka County-Blaine, MN - 20 miles N of M/SP) you build your own
hangar on leased land, just like a trailer "court" ...or mobile home "park"
....or manufactured housing "village". You know, tornado magnets.

Put whatever you want up on your site, but you still owe rent (lease)
payments on that site each month. Hangars sell from owner to owner. The
leases (land rent) are set to almost double at ANE over the next few years.

ANE is one of six reliever airports for (MSP) Minneapolis/St Paul
International. All are part of MAC - Metropolitan Airports Commission.

http://www.mspairport.com/mac/organization/default.aspx

Montblack

Old December 10th 05, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The leases (land rent) are set to almost double at ANE over
the next few years.

Holy crap! What are they trying to do, weed out the riff-raff?

What will that do to the airport?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 10th 05, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
New hangars came available at the airport I fly out of and I
bought two. The rent on one pays for the annual costs for both. 39 T
hangars sold in in about two weeks.

How does that work, Dave? Is this a private airport, or municipal?

Our airport has talked about selling hangars to tenants, but it always

gets
swept aside as being unworkable.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Private public use airport. Poplar Grove C77 in northern IL now the largest
airport aircraft count wise in the state with 400 plus aircraft. We own the
hangar and pay a nominal annual land lease, property tax, insurance and
maintenance fee that covers snow plowing, lawn mowing, etc. Total comes to
about $1,200 per year. The land lease is a transferable 99 year lease.
Probably one of the better investments around. It is not unusual for a
hangar to sell in a couple of hours.

Old December 10th 05, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Montblack" wrote in message
[...]

We currently pay $.10 per square foot. Even if it doubled it wouldn't be a
big deal. Is ANE one of the MSP airports they wanted to close? The airport
puts up the hangars and we purchase from the airport. That keeps quality up
and the neighborhood looking good.

Old December 10th 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
From the standpoint of the paint, it is generally financially better to
let it
sit outside than to pay hangar rent. Of course other weather things
(potential hail
damage, ice/snow removal), the convenience of indoor work, etc may be
worth a lot to
some. For me, hangars are unavailable, and being outside isn't that big
of a deal. A
$100 cover keeps the sun off the avionics and upholstery.

Don't forget all the "intangibles" that come with having a hangar. Being
in a row of T-hangars is like docking your boat on a lake. Your neighbors
are instantly your friends, and everyone has an equal footing from which
to start, whether you're a bank president or a lowly innkeeper.

Good points!

I pay $235 a month for a 44foot T-Hanger with electricity (I pay the
electric bill) which works fine with a Reiff pre-heater. I could add an
electric space heater, but is it worth it? The Reiff makes the engine
compartment so warm that much heat transfers to the cabin via the cover.
Only occasionally do we get below 0F.

In the 6000 foot elevation here, it does wonders to protect the paint and
internals. During the winters, it's a major benefit. We don't get all that
much snow down in the valley (as opposed to the hills around us), but when
we do it blows a lot and can get into all sorts of nook and crannies as it's
the light fluffy powder.

As for "friends", those of us on the same row as my hanger all share (cost
us a one time $50) to use a riding lawn mower that has a special hitch to
tow/push the aircraft. That's been a blessing more times than I can
remember.

Matt
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.