Landing lights

Old May 8th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Landing lights

"The Visitor" wrote in message
What kind of plane are they on. And what beam dispersion did you get?

John

A Beech B36 - I have both the cowl and taxi (nose wheel) lights.

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Robert Barker" wrote in message

We seem to be going thru landing lights more frequently than we should in
our 172's. Are there any STCd alternatives to the standard Cessna part?
Maybe a LED lamp or at least something more durable? I realize it's only
a $40 part, but we're a new club and every little bit helps...

http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_systems.htm

I have these and they are awesome. A bit more to install, but have a 5
year warranty. It eliminates the most common part that breaks in regular
landing lights. What's more, they're about five times brighter than
"normal" lights.

http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_AML.htm Pick the one that fits.

Old May 8th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote in message ...
Robert M. Gary wrote:
Isn't that a sign of unusual vibration? I know some in the Mooney
community have had the same problem and its always indicated something
else (vibration wise).

-Robert

Unusual vibration in a 172?

How do you detect that without instrumentation or the prop falling apart
before your eyes?

On my first take off in a 172R my first thought was the engine had failed
because everything wasn't shaking like hell like all the other carbureted
172s I had flown.

snip
--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Lycoming powered, I assume - the O-300 runs smooth as silk...

Old May 8th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

".Blueskies." wrote in message
t...

wrote in message
Robert M. Gary wrote:
Isn't that a sign of unusual vibration? I know some in the Mooney
community have had the same problem and its always indicated something
else (vibration wise).

-Robert

Unusual vibration in a 172?

How do you detect that without instrumentation or the prop falling apart
before your eyes?

On my first take off in a 172R my first thought was the engine had failed
because everything wasn't shaking like hell like all the other carbureted
172s I had flown.

snip
--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Lycoming powered, I assume - the O-300 runs smooth as silk...

Thanks to everyone for the info... I'll do some shopping this week.

Old May 8th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Matt Barrow wrote:

A Beech B36 - I have both the cowl and taxi (nose wheel) lights.

Available in:

Intermediate - 17° width
Landing - 9° width

What beam widths did you wind up with? would think the 9 degrees is
too small of a spot?

What was the real install time compared to estimates?

John

Old May 9th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Matt Barrow wrote:

A Beech B36 - I have both the cowl and taxi (nose wheel) lights.

Available in:

Intermediate - 17° width
Landing - 9° width

What beam widths did you wind up with? would think the 9 degrees is too
small of a spot?

Landing light in thecowl, Intermediate on the nose wheel. They didn't have
the wider one (22 degrees IIRC) when I bought, or at least I didn't know
about it.

What was the real install time compared to estimates?

I didn't get an estimate from Lopresti, but I dropped the bird off in the
afternoon at the maintenance barn and it was done the next morning. Six
hours on the invoice as I recall.
--
Matt
---------------------

Old May 9th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Okay, thanks.

I am still considering gettng them on the nose strut of my seneca. Can't
decide two narrow beam or two intermediate lights. One of each won't
work because of how they are positioned so tightly in the gear doors. I
don't want the light comming out, to be skewed looking.

I take it the new lights were waaay brighter?

John

Old May 10th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"The Visitor" wrote in message
Okay, thanks.

I am still considering gettng them on the nose strut of my seneca. Can't
decide two narrow beam or two intermediate lights. One of each won't work
because of how they are positioned so tightly in the gear doors. I don't
want the light comming out, to be skewed looking.

I take it the new lights were waaay brighter?

By orders of magnitude; rather like using a big flashlight versus a match.

Old May 10th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Nathan Young wrote:
On Sat, 6 May 2006 20:56:54 -0600, "Robert Barker"
wrote:

We seem to be going thru landing lights more frequently than we should in
our 172's. Are there any STCd alternatives to the standard Cessna part?
Maybe a LED lamp or at least something more durable? I realize it's only a
$40 part, but we're a new club and every little bit helps...

A few suggestions.

1. Make sure that pilots are not turning the lights on/off/on in a
short timespan. I have accidentally toggled the light switch on my
Cherokee, and it blew the light very quickly.

2. I orientate my bulbs so that the filament is vertical. This is
supposed to help with the vibration issue, but who knows.

3. If you have wingtip lights and nose bowl lights, use only the
wingtip lights when possible. There is less vibration in the wingtips
than in the nose bowl.

A maint. volunteer in my club told me that landing lights have limited
life, like 400 hours or so. So if people are flying around with them
on all the time to improve their visibility (not necessarily a bad idea
in the pattern) you would expect them to be burning out frequently.

He also suggested not checking them during preflight because it's not
required and every time you turn one on and off, you're shortening its
lifetime. He came to this conclusion after he checked a landing light
in preflight, then it burned out when he turned it on during the
subsquent flight. So the preflight check was useless anyway and it
probably helped hasten the bulb's demise.

Just grist for the mill...

Old May 10th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The Visitor wrote:
landing lights have limited
life, like 400 hours or so.

From the GE website....
The 4509's I suspect you are using have a rated live of 25 hours. A
Q4509, more money is 100 hours. If you don't turn them on and off.

One person I know claims for longer life you should not turn the landing
light of until the engine stops. As the vibrations present when the
filament cools, stresses it and it will break sooner.

Sagging engine mounts will let the engine's bumper plate come
up against the cowl bumper. You can see it just above the landing light
assembly. If this thing is constantly in contact, it will shake the
daylights out of the cowl and anything attached to it.
Sometimes getting a dynamic prop balance will help; it saves
radios and gyros, too.

Dan

Old May 11th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Wed, 10 May 2006 17:59:59 -0400, The Visitor
wrote:

landing lights have limited
life, like 400 hours or so.

How many hours of flying does it take to get 400 hours on a landing
light? I've put well over a 1000 hours on the Deb but the landing
light hasn't been replaced yet.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

From the GE website....