stolen EB28 sighted travelling through France

Old March 4th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default stolen EB28 sighted travelling through France

Hello,

You may know that an EB28 was stolen in December from the London
Gliding Club, UK, and the front half of the fuselage cut away and
stolen. See www.genesys.net/eb28stolen.

Two glider pilots sighted it yesterday travelling through France en-
route through Normandy from the port of Caen heading South towards
Spain.

It is in a flat bed trailer being towed by a Grey 4x4, probably a
Honda with a UK registration plate starting with a Y.

If you live in the South of France or Spain, could you please keep a
look out for this. If you make a sighting, please email me,
, and I will pass the details onto the
glider's owners.

Many thanks.
Old March 4th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

I assume you have already contacted the police in these countries? This rig
ought to stick out like a sore thumb. Hope they catch the bad guys.

bumper

Old March 4th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes. The police and insurance company have been informed. The police
are contacting the ferry company who will have a record of the vehicle
and its passengers. It would be good to know, though, where they are
taking the EB28 fuselage as I expect it will soon be off the road (if
not already) and back in hiding.

Paul
Old March 4th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Let us know what happens. I'm particularly intrigued by what the purpose of
this theft was.

Mike Schumann

Old March 5th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

I hope these "evil doers" are caught. Then, I hope glider pilots can
serve as judge, jury, and prosecutor.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old March 5th 08, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 4, 11:50*pm, "Mike Schumann" mike-nos...@traditions-
nospam.com wrote:
Let us know what happens. *I'm particularly intrigued by what the purpose of
this theft was.

Mike Schumann

I will post an update when there is more news. Some people think that
the thieves are planning to build a streamlined motorcycle similar to
the one shown in this link: http://hegeberg.dyndns.org/acabion.c...rtpage_en.html

Paul
Old March 5th 08, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Mar 5, 12:15*am, wrote:
Just guessing, but I think the wing loading is going to be WAY to high
on that thing. Has winglets though... Any guesses on what the
fuselage is? ASK21?

Matt

Old March 5th 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Then, I hope glider pilots can
serve as judge, jury, and prosecutor.

I was going to suggest sentencing them to a lifetime of flying a 1-26,
but they might have too much fun with that.
Old March 5th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

On 4 Mar, 18:49, wrote:
Hello,

You may know that an EB28 was stolen in December from the London
Gliding Club, UK, and the front half of the fuselage cut away and
stolen. Seewww.genesys.net/eb28stolen.

Two glider pilots sighted it yesterday travelling through France en-
route through Normandy from the port of Caen heading South towards
Spain.

It is in a flat bed trailer being towed by a Grey 4x4, probably a
Honda with a UK registration plate starting with a Y.

If you live in the South of France or Spain, could you please keep a
look out for this. If you make a sighting, please email me,
, and I will pass the details onto the
glider's owners.

Many thanks.

Contacted the port authorities & customs for cctv footage yet? They
only keep the tapes for a short while.
Old March 5th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Mar 5, 1:16*am, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
... Any guesses on what the fuselage is? *ASK21?

Yes, that's what I think.

A while back I designed a trailer for ASK21 (which we didn't build,
that's a different story), in the process of which I obtained the
drawing set that the factory supplies so you can design trailers and
fittings and such. When I overlay that ASK21 fuselage side view on the
Acabion, and use perspective tweaks to approximate the plane of
symmetry, it matches to my satisfaction.

The one thing that differs substantially is that on the ASK21 the aft
canopy rail curve is kinked a bit to clear the wing, and that feature
is absent from the Acabion. That implies that they've reworked the aft
canopy rails a bit. They're probably using stock Mecaplex ASK21
acrylic transparencies, though, since the raw transparencies probably
have enough extra material at the edge to let them fill in that kink
without needing to develop a whole new transparency forming plug.

Thanks, Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com