Headwinds, always

Old June 6th 05, 03:27 PM
Paul kgyy

Default Headwinds, always

I just returned from an 8-day tour of the midwest. This was a 6-leg
circular route west to Des Moines from Chicago, then up to the Dakotas,
back through Duluth, Green Bay. We mostly flew at 7000 ft. We had
20-30 knot headwinds on 5 of the 6 legs and never once a tailwind.

Old June 6th 05, 03:30 PM
George Patterson

Paul kgyy wrote:
I just returned from an 8-day tour of the midwest. This was a 6-leg
circular route west to Des Moines from Chicago, then up to the Dakotas,
back through Duluth, Green Bay. We mostly flew at 7000 ft. We had
20-30 knot headwinds on 5 of the 6 legs and never once a tailwind.

I had a tailwind once. I don't talk about it much, 'cause nobody believes me. :-)

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 6th 05, 03:34 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, George Patterson said:
Paul kgyy wrote:
back through Duluth, Green Bay. We mostly flew at 7000 ft. We had
20-30 knot headwinds on 5 of the 6 legs and never once a tailwind.

I had a tailwind once. I don't talk about it much, 'cause nobody believes me. :-)

I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, that the FAA is there to
help me, or tailwinds.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish. And if he can't
Old June 6th 05, 03:43 PM

Paul kgyy wrote:
back through Duluth, Green Bay. We mostly flew at 7000 ft. We had
20-30 knot headwinds on 5 of the 6 legs and never once a tailwind.

I had a tailwind once. I don't talk about it much, 'cause nobody believes me. :-)

I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, that the FAA is there to
help me, or tailwinds.

I once made 144Kt GS in a Warrior II and another member of the group
had 160Kt earlier this year. Mostly I'm lucky to get 100Kt :-(

Old June 6th 05, 04:27 PM

Paul,

Westbound at 7,000 feet?

Might explain the headwinds g.

Sometimes I try to console myself with the flying time I'm getting when
in a headwind. Never works, I feel like a salmon swimming upstream.

All the best,
Rick

Old June 6th 05, 04:54 PM
Dan Luke

"Paul kgyy" wrote:
We had 20-30 knot headwinds on 5 of the 6 legs
and never once a tailwind.

Flew round trip Mobile - Baton Rouge Saturday, with a 30-minute stop at BTR.

6,000' there, 7,000' back, course 270, 090.

Headwinds both ways.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old June 6th 05, 04:54 PM
Paul kgyy

Well, I did say "mostly" 7000 ... :-)

Curiously, from Door County WI to Chicago IFR my first leg was about
195, then about 170degrees so I filed for 6000. When I turned to 170 I
asked ATC if they wanted me to change altitude - answer was NO.