VFR Flight Following -- What's going on here?

Old July 1st 05, 02:26 AM
Jay Honeck

Have you noticed you need to look very
hard to find the name Experimental Aircraft Association. Had EAA stayed
their original course they would have expired long ago. In most chapters
homebuilders are a small minority.

Boy, that's for sure. The two chapters I've belonged to *did* have their
fair share of home builders -- but they were a tiny minority of the total
group.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 1st 05, 07:45 AM
Hilton

Jay,
So WHAT is there to hate about EAA? I just don't get it.

Is it true that the EAA force people to become EAA members to attend
Oshkosh?

Hilton

Old July 1st 05, 01:04 PM
Dave Stadt

"Hilton" wrote in message
nk.net...
Jay,
So WHAT is there to hate about EAA? I just don't get it.

Is it true that the EAA force people to become EAA members to attend
Oshkosh?

Hilton

Yep, they hold guns to people's heads and force them to pull out their
credit cards before they are allowed to enter. Not only that, they hijack
people that are headed to Green Bay and force them to become members.

I assume your question is a troll but if it isn't.......no you do not need
to be a member to attend. But if it was a requirement so what, it is an EAA
event and if the decision was to limit it to EAA members so be it.

Old July 1st 05, 01:23 PM
John Theune

Hilton wrote:
Jay,

So WHAT is there to hate about EAA? I just don't get it.

Is it true that the EAA force people to become EAA members to attend
Oshkosh?

Hilton

Yes, if your not a regular member you have to buy a short term
membership if you want to attend the annual convention of the EAA also
known as Oshkosh. Why would that surprise you, that you have to belong
to a organization to attend their annual convention?
Old July 1st 05, 01:40 PM
Jose

Is it true that the EAA force people to become EAA members to attend
Oshkosh?

Dunno, but somebody in our party had to join or be EAA for Sun'n'Fun.

Jose
--
You may not get what you pay for, but you sure as hell pay for what you get.
Old July 1st 05, 02:36 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Hilton" wrote in message
nk.net...
Jay,
So WHAT is there to hate about EAA? I just don't get it.

Is it true that the EAA force people to become EAA members to attend
Oshkosh?

Hilton

My troll meter is ticking here but the answer is no. Though you do get a
discount on admission if you are an EAA member.

YOu got a problem with that?

Old July 1st 05, 05:12 PM
Hilton

Dave Stadt wrote:

Hilton wrote:
Jay,
So WHAT is there to hate about EAA? I just don't get it.

Is it true that the EAA force people to become EAA members to attend
Oshkosh?

Hilton

Yep, they hold guns to people's heads and force them to pull out their
credit cards before they are allowed to enter. Not only that, they hijack
people that are headed to Green Bay and force them to become members.

I assume your question is a troll but if it isn't.......no you do not need
to be a member to attend. But if it was a requirement so what, it is an

EAA
event and if the decision was to limit it to EAA members so be it.

Wow - that's the second time I've been called a troll in as many months.
Anyway, moving right along... I decided to peek around a little and I found
this line " You must be an EAA member to purchase a ticket" in:

http://www.avweb.com/news/osh2002/181590-1.html

So, either the article is wrong or the policy has changed since 2002. I
also remember a few other write-ups about this 'technique' to (at least
temporarily) boost the EAA membership. BTW: I'm not saying it is right or
wrong - I simply posted in response to Jay's comment "So WHAT is there to
hate about EAA?" - I'm sure there are people out there that don't like to be
forced to join an organization just to attend an airshow.

Hilton

Old July 1st 05, 06:03 PM
RST Engineering

I can't speak to the policy that was in effect in 2002. I haven't found
many errors in Rick's articles, but nobody is infallible. However, for THIS
year's policies (which have member as well as non-member rates) I'd suggest
that you peruse:

http://www.airventure.org/2005/planning/admission.html

I don't hate EAA. I'm not all that thrilled with some things they've done
over the years, but on balance they are one of the best things that has ever
happened to aviation. Elsewise I sure as the devil wouldn't be running for
their board of directors.

Are there some things that could be done differently, subjectively better,
or with a different emphasis? Certainly. However, EAA and Airventure are
not a single vision but the collective vision of the entire organization.
Just because the organization's vision isn't YOUR particular vision or MY
particular vision doesn't make them wrong, just different. And, if you want
a louder voice for how you think the ship should be steered, volunteer for
the crew of the ship.

Jim

Old July 1st 05, 06:24 PM
Blanche

No, it is NOT a requirement to be an EAA member to buy an admission
ticket -- unless they changed the rule from last year. You do have
the option at the gate to join and get the discounted admission
price.

And, if I remember correctly, you do not need to be a member to
park the aircraft, but if you want to camp with the aircraft, you
must be an EAA member.

On the other hand, in my case, senility set in with puberty and I
could be wrong.

Old July 1st 05, 06:35 PM
W P Dixon

"Blanche" wrote in message

On the other hand, in my case, senility set in with puberty and I
could be wrong.

Thanks for the good laugh Blanche ! That just tickled me good!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech