Airtankers Grounded?

Old May 13th 04, 05:41 AM
Scott G.

Default Airtankers Grounded?

Has anyone else heard that all the larger airtankers were grounded for this
season? Including P-2s, P-3s, and all the DC series? Some operators and
pilots must be hurting right about now.

Scott G.

Old May 14th 04, 07:24 PM
Paul Hirose

An article in the Rapid City Journal says the U.S. Forest Service has
cancelled contracts involving 33 heavy air tankers out of concern for
their airworthiness.

"The federal government terminated contracts with Neptune Aviation
Services of Missoula, Mont., as well as Hawkins & Powers and six other
companies. The government had a contract for seven Neptune planes and
two Hawkins & Powers planes. Neptune officials said the termination
would put them out of business. Hawkins & Powers said the company
could survive on other firefighting business."

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/arti...top/news01.txt

--

Paul Hirose
To reply by email delete INVALID from address.
Old May 17th 04, 02:30 PM
Greg Copeland

On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:41:36 -0700, Scott G. wrote:

Has anyone else heard that all the larger airtankers were grounded for this
season? Including P-2s, P-3s, and all the DC series? Some operators and
pilots must be hurting right about now.

Scott G.

One offered solution to the 33 grounded air tankers (assuming we're
talking about the same thing), is this
(http://www.evergreenaviation.com/supertanker/index.html) 747. It's
supposed to have 24,000 gallons of tank space.

Old May 17th 04, 04:09 PM
Newps

"Greg Copeland" wrote in message
news

One offered solution to the 33 grounded air tankers (assuming we're
talking about the same thing), is this
(http://www.evergreenaviation.com/supertanker/index.html) 747. It's
supposed to have 24,000 gallons of tank space.

One of the reasons the Forest Service is going to small Ag planes for
firebombing is turn around time. While 24,000 gallons is nice it does no
good if the plane has to then fly 45 minutes to an hour to a suitable
airport. Also, they don't drop water on fires. They drop retardant, it's
reddish colored goo that gets everywhere on the plane behind where it drops
out. There is no way a 747 could be made to work economically.

Old May 18th 04, 01:52 AM
Greg Copeland

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:09:35 -0600, Newps wrote:

"Greg Copeland" wrote in message
news

One offered solution to the 33 grounded air tankers (assuming we're
talking about the same thing), is this
(http://www.evergreenaviation.com/supertanker/index.html) 747. It's
supposed to have 24,000 gallons of tank space.

One of the reasons the Forest Service is going to small Ag planes for
firebombing is turn around time. While 24,000 gallons is nice it does no
good if the plane has to then fly 45 minutes to an hour to a suitable
airport. Also, they don't drop water on fires. They drop retardant, it's
reddish colored goo that gets everywhere on the plane behind where it drops
out. There is no way a 747 could be made to work economically.

Very interesting stuff.

Sadly, I see I'm constantly "Mr Late" with the links here. Just
the same, thanks for the followup.

Old May 18th 04, 03:52 AM
Morgans

" Also, they don't drop water on fires. They drop retardant, it's
reddish colored goo that gets everywhere on the plane behind where it

drops
out.

What????? We will have to tell them to stop putting all that water in them
'thar tankers.

For your information, the "goo" that comes out is a combination of (don't
hold me to exact figures) about 99% water and 1% retardant. It is much like
firefighting foam, and is best described as a wetting agent, like soap. The
red is there to aid in spotting where the load went, and help in spotting
for the next load, or to see if more is to be needed there.

There is no way a 747 could be made to work economically.

You don't have a good grip on the economics of large tracts of timber, do
you? The biggest reason big planes are not as good, is like has been
mentioned, refill time, but more importantly, the tight canyons and such
that a big plane would have a problem with. You have to get pretty low for
the drops to work the best.

Sorry if this post is attributed to the wrong person, but you all know who
it is for.
--
Jim in NC

---