RNAV vectors

Old December 17th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dan Luke

Default RNAV vectors

Anybody ever get vectors to final for RNAV approaches?

Around here (Mobile. AL), I never hear it, although there are plenty of
ARNAVs with lower minimums than the VOR approaches at both airports. If you
ask ATC for one of the ARNAVs, they'll clear you to an IAF every time.

Is there something special about vectoring for ARNAVs?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 17th 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

Anybody ever get vectors to final for RNAV approaches?

Around here (Mobile. AL), I never hear it, although there are plenty of
ARNAVs with lower minimums than the VOR approaches at both airports. If
you ask ATC for one of the ARNAVs, they'll clear you to an IAF every time.

Is there something special about vectoring for ARNAVs?

What kind of RNAV approaches are you referring to? Stand alone GPS
approaches tend to be made so that vectoring doesn't provide an advantage.

Old December 17th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dan Luke

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Is there something special about vectoring for ARNAVs?

What kind of RNAV approaches are you referring to? Stand alone GPS
approaches tend to be made so that vectoring doesn't provide an advantage.

Example: http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0612/00268R18.PDF

Wouldn't there be some occasions when vectors to final would remove the need
for the course reversal that would be required by a clearance to OTMEE?

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 17th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Dan Luke wrote:

Anybody ever get vectors to final for RNAV approaches?

Yes, I have been offered vectors to final for an RNAV/GPS approach a few
times in both the northeast and mid-Atlantic (US) areas. In all cases I
declined the offer and instead requested vectors to a specific IAF.

These days I even save the back and forth game by including the direct-to
IAF request within my first call to the facility.

"Bonanza XXX, level 5000 with current weather, requesting RNAV/GPS 24
approach Dunkirk and requesting direct IYZZY (some crazy IAF name) when
able."

--
Peter
Old December 17th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

Example: http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0612/00268R18.PDF

Wouldn't there be some occasions when vectors to final would remove the
need for the course reversal that would be required by a clearance to
OTMEE?

Yup, that one would. There is something special about vectoring to final on
GPS approaches, though. Unlike localizers or VOR radials, a GPS FAC has a
definite "end". The course does not extend beyond what's charted so there's
nothing to intercept.

Old December 17th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter R." wrote in message

Yes, I have been offered vectors to final for an RNAV/GPS approach a few
times in both the northeast and mid-Atlantic (US) areas. In all cases I
declined the offer and instead requested vectors to a specific IAF.

Why request vectors to an RNAV (GPS) IAF?

Old December 17th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

"Dan Luke" wrote:

Anybody ever get vectors to final for RNAV approaches?

Sure. And what's so cool about the internet today is that not only can I
show you the chart for the approach
(http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0612/00286VDG24.PDF), I can also show you how we
flew it
(http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...953Z/KHPN/KPOU)
.. Now all we need are the ATC tapes and a webcam sitting on the pilot's
shoulder :-)

On the other hand, I'm not sure if a "... or GPS ..." approach is quite the
same thing as a "RNAV GPS ..." approach.
Old December 17th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

Example: http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0612/00268R18.PDF

Wouldn't there be some occasions when vectors to final would remove the
need for the course reversal that would be required by a clearance to
OTMEE?

Yup, that one would. There is something special about vectoring to final on
GPS approaches, though. Unlike localizers or VOR radials, a GPS FAC has a
definite "end". The course does not extend beyond what's charted so there's
nothing to intercept.

According to your handlers in ATO that set policy, vectors to final are
not "legal" unless the FAC is on the video map.
Old December 17th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Sure. And what's so cool about the internet today is that not only can I
show you the chart for the approach
(http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0612/00286VDG24.PDF), I can also show you how
we
flew it
(http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N...953Z/KHPN/KPOU)
. Now all we need are the ATC tapes and a webcam sitting on the pilot's
shoulder :-)

On the other hand, I'm not sure if a "... or GPS ..." approach is quite
the
same thing as a "RNAV GPS ..." approach.

No, RNAV approaches have RNAV in the name.

Old December 17th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

According to your handlers in ATO that set policy, vectors to final are
not "legal" unless the FAC is on the video map.

I don't have handlers in ATO or anywhere else.