Altimeter off

Old March 23rd 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Altimeter off

On Mar 20, 11:53 am, "kevmor" wrote:
How can you adjust an altimeter if the pressure isn't correct in the
window for the altitude? I started talking to my examiner about it on
the checkride and he said that a lot of people adjust it themselves
(not an avionics shop, etc), and he said you take the front off (I
think) and theres a screw to adjust it? The plane would be used for
VFR only...

Is there an adjustment that can be made to the encoder as well if it's
off?

http://www.cozybuilders.org/newsletters/news_30.html
It's easy enough to do if you want to. BUT

It's a) not legal and b) adjusting the altimeter at your airport
elevation may make it totally out of spec at cruising altitude. The
instrument shop adjusts it so that it's in spec over the entire range
of altitudes, not just correct at one particular one.

Ed

Old March 26th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

kevmor wrote:
The airplane was set on 1200 and never
changed for a decade, maybe it just needed to be cycled some

Don't feel bad.

We use ours pretty much every time we leave the pattern, and sometimes
we still have to do a full spin to clean the contacts. With us, it's
normally the first digit, as ours normally always seems to be a 1, 5 ,
or 0. The 2, 3, 4, and 6, and 7 sometimes get dirty in that slot.

Now that I think about it, I can't believe how often I'm told to squawk
5304. G

Altimeter 3066 M Piloting 24 December 4th 06 07:46 PM
ATC Altimeter Settings O. Sami Saydjari Instrument Flight Rules 81 April 11th 05 08:07 PM
Altimeter Disassembly Dick Home Built 3 April 2nd 05 01:27 PM
encoding altimeter mcfrog Owning 3 May 30th 04 07:39 PM
low altimeter and FL180 Michael 182 Piloting 26 October 31st 03 05:29 AM