List Of State laws Concerning Landing On Public Roads?

Old December 14th 04, 01:29 AM
Roger

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 08:16:17 -0500, "TaxSrv"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote:
Not all public roads are state, or federal roads. There are also
county roads which fall under county and possibly township, and
municipal laws. So, at least in Michigan you may land on a road
way out in the country with no problem.

Michigan law reads this way:

259.80d Landing aircraft.

(1) An aircraft shall not land, except in an emergency, on private
property, other than upon recognized landing areas, unless express
permission is secured from the owner or lessee.

(2) A person shall not land an aircraft on a public highway, except in
an emergency. A person shall not operate an aircraft on a public
highway unless traffic is controlled by law enforcement officials.

Generally when speaking of anything other then highways they call them
roadways such as county roadways. So, I'd need to know how they
defined highway in the bill.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

FF

Old December 14th 04, 01:16 PM
William W. Plummer

wrote:

"Roger" wrote:

Not all public roads are state, or federal roads. There are also
county roads which fall under county and possibly township, and
municipal laws. So, at least in Michigan you may land on a road
way out in the country with no problem.

Michigan law reads this way:

259.80d Landing aircraft.

(1) An aircraft shall not land, except in an emergency, on private
property, other than upon recognized landing areas, unless express
permission is secured from the owner or lessee.

(2) A person shall not land an aircraft on a public highway, except in
an emergency. A person shall not operate an aircraft on a public
highway unless traffic is controlled by law enforcement officials.

Generally when speaking of anything other then highways they call them
roadways such as county roadways. So, I'd need to know how they
defined highway in the bill.

The first part above seems to duplicate laws against trespassing and is
unnecessary. But, it makes sense. When flying a balloon we always ask
a landowner for permission to land if he is around. Taking a photo of
the owner accepting the traditional bottle of wine guards against future
claims. A free tethered flight also generates goodwill.

But that doesn't work with highways. In fact a balloon landing in a
cloverleaf could be a safety hazard and cause accidents. Airplanes
landing on the highway would do the same. OTOH I've heard of many
planes landing on highways, but I don't think I've heard that auto
damage resulted.

Old December 14th 04, 10:00 PM

William W. Plummer wrote :
OTOH I've heard of many
planes landing on highways, but I don't think I've heard that auto
damage resulted.

It happens occasionally. Earlier this year (or possibly last year) a
singe engine plane made an emergency landing on a freeway. The plane,
with the engine still running, landed on top of a minivan. The prop
sliced open the van and severed a young girl's leg.
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)