I want to buy a plane by year-end but they're not making it easy.

Old December 15th 04, 02:00 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message
After our last car buying experience I think late, tired and cranky are

the
things you need for a good deal.

Even better is late, tired, cranky and the last day of the month. Especially
if the last day of the month is a weekday when the dealer knows that hardly
anyone shops for a car late on a weekday.

-Trent

Old December 15th 04, 06:24 PM
Bob Chilcoat

The best deal I ever got on a new car was after I'd already "bought" the
same basic car used from Hertz. I stopped into the dealer to get an extra
key made, and realized that the price I'd paid was not too far off sticker
price for the same car with manual transmission, which is what I really
wanted anyway. I had three days to back out of the Hertz deal, and they had
"rented" it to me in the interim so that I could drive it away.

So I started negotiating with the dealer for a new car at the same price I'd
paid for the 12,000 mile Hertz car. It was near the end of the model year,
and late in the month. Eventually I moved up a few hundred $$'s, but
stopped after talking to series of increasingly skilled "closers". Finally
I just said, "Look, I've been here two hours now. I have a car out there in
the parking lot. I'm happy with it. In about five minutes I'm going to
drive away in it, and I'll be very happy. I have a nearly new car with an
automatic transmission. But you won't be happy, because you won't have sold
a car." The "closer" tried one more time to move me off my offer, and when
I refused to budge, he finally agreed and we bought the car. The next day I
returned the Hertz car and cancelled the sale. IIRC, I ended up paying $800
more than I'd almost paid for the used Hertz car. We finally got rid of it
(Toyota Corolla) when it hit 250,000 miles.

It has occurred to me that you could use this same ploy by just renting a
car like the one you want, and driving into the dealer's and giving them the
same story. Wouldn't cost you much, and it puts you in a very strong
negotiating position. Maybe I'll try it someday, but I usually don't buy
new cars. It's nice to have an edge when talking to these sharks.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old December 15th 04, 10:09 PM
Dude

It has occurred to me that you could use this same ploy by just renting a
car like the one you want, and driving into the dealer's and giving them
the
same story. Wouldn't cost you much, and it puts you in a very strong
negotiating position. Maybe I'll try it someday, but I usually don't buy
new cars. It's nice to have an edge when talking to these sharks.

A friend of mine actually drove a new car from a dealers lot to his
competition on the test drive (they let him go alone). He asked them if
they could beat the deal he had negotiated already. They took about 10
minutes to say no, he drove back and bought it.