plane rental on Oahu

Old December 8th 04, 12:02 PM
Dahlin

Default plane rental on Oahu

I will be in Hawaii on the island of Oahu over Christmas and was wondering
if anyone here had any experience with any of rental outfits there. Any
input would be appreciated.

Old December 8th 04, 11:11 PM

Check out either of the following. I recommend you go up with an
instructor to get your bearings. They will probably require it unless
you have flown here before. There is a lot of controlled airspace
here, including the class B that is Honolulu. I also recommend you
look at Flying Hawaii - A Pilot's Guide To The Islands. Beside
covering all the islands, it covers the departure and approach
procedures for Honolulu.

George's Aviation Services
10 Lagoon Drive
Honolulu, HI 96819
http://www.georgesaviation.com

Moore Air Inc
90 Nakolo Place
Honolulu, HI 96819
http://www.mooreair.com

Old December 9th 04, 01:02 AM
Ken Reed

I will be in Hawaii on the island of Oahu over Christmas and was wondering
if anyone here had any experience with any of rental outfits there. Any
input would be appreciated.

Last month I flew with Flight School Hawaii
http://www.flightschoolhawaii.com/. I would consider them again.

Old December 9th 04, 05:59 AM
Robert Easton

I was out in HI in November on vacation and I was going to go flying so I
looked for FBO's on the net. I've flown out there before. It's a BLAST!
Some of the most beautiful flying you'll ever do. Unfortunately the FBO I
rented from before was out of business. There are several others though. I
called Anderson Aviation, but they didn't return my call until four days
into my vacation. Prior to that I went driving around the airport and found
Flight School Hawaii http://www.flightschoolhawaii.com/ one day
because I didn't hear from Anderson Aviation. Flight School Hawaii,
is right by the Honolulu FSDO on Nakolo Place. They seemed very
professional and they have NEW, repeat NEW Cessna's (2000-2003)!!
I scheduled a plane for a Monday afternoon, but the trade winds were
really strong that day, 16 KTS gusting to 25 KTS! So I didn't get to go
flying. I was BUMMED! Who ever heard of bad weather in HI? I had
planned to go with an instructor and my wife and do an ocean cross country
to Molokai (PHMK). If you just want to fly around Oahu most places will
let you do that with a rental check out. If you want to go island to
island, that is a special check out with an instructor before you can fly
island
to island solo.
You can also get a free booklet of "Hawaii Airports and Flying Safety"
from the FAA FSDO. HNL is the only class B airport I've ever flown out
of. All VFR departures have to have a clearance (like flying IFR) to take
off. At HNL runways 4-22 are pretty much for general aviation while
runways 8-26 are for the airlines. As far as I know, all of the FBO's
are located on what they call the "Scenic Ramp" (formerly Scenic Aviation)
on the East end of the airport.

Robert
PP-ASEL-IA (Wings Level V)
A&P

Old December 16th 04, 04:10 PM

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:02:32 -0500, "Dahlin" wrote:

I will be in Hawaii on the island of Oahu over Christmas and was wondering
if anyone here had any experience with any of rental outfits there. Any
input would be appreciated.

I'm a bit late with this post but I flew with Moore Air Inc
in January 2004.

I'm a UK pilot but got my FAA Certificate in 1991. Needed a BFR when
in Hawaii as it was some years since I'd flown solo in the US. Spent
about 1.5 hour ground school, as I wanted to go solo to Molokai. The
flight check was just an hour. Got signed off to fly solo. Booked for
a couple of days later but sadly they were forecasting some
thunderstorms and cloud base a little too low for me in unfamiliar
airspace so I had to cancel.

As for the FBO I would return and enjoyed the experience of flying in
Honolul airspace. All the departure and arrival procedures etc. are in
the US Flight Information Publication - Chart Supplement for Pacific.

David
G-BHJO, Scotland UK