Engine analyzers

Old October 2nd 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
pgbnh[_1_]

Default Engine analyzers

Any recommendations (positive or negative) for engine analyzers. To be
installed in a Beech Sierra, IO360-A1B6 engine. What features are most
useful, which less so. Is fuel flow per cylinder important?
My mechanic likes the JPI. Any specific feedback on them would be helpful.

We would install the analyzer for a few reasons:
1. Desire for early problem detection in an engine that is already beyond
TBO (the engine was rebuilt, but not overhauled, as a result of a prop
strike about 800 houir ago). If things are beginning to go bad, I am hoping
that the analyzer will find them first
2. Desire to 'pamper' a 'senior-citizen' engine that, other than age and
hours, runs great, great compression, consistent oil use
3. Maybe even save some fuel dollars thru more effective leaning (only have
egt now)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Old October 4th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

I'm very happy with my JPI. I originally got it for the reasons you
did, however, what I really like about it now is that when I have a 30
year old factory instrument it isn't working as well as I'd like, I can
just plug a sensor into the JPI and have a digital gauge for the same.

I've added fuel flow (LOVE IT!!, couldn't live without it), OAT, oil
temp.

At one point I was tracking down a strange, intermitant electrical
issue. Being able to read the exact voltage off the JPI really made it
easier to dignose the problem in flight (low charge vs. no charge).

The only complaint I have with the JPI and GEM systems is that you are
doing a LOT with a couple of buttons. It gets to be quiet a dance
trying to figure out all the combinations of things you can do with two
buttons, especially once you add more features like fuel flow.

Also, I often fly with students who hate their JPI and can't figure out
how to make it show peak EGT. The problem is almost always that they
have a really old version of the software. Upgrading the unit addresses
the problem.

Also, at one point JPI tried to make the output of the unit (you can
download everything to your PC) propietary. That is now long since
history but people will often bring it up as a grip. I don't have as
much time behind the GEM system.

-Robert

Old October 4th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Also, at one point JPI tried to make the output of the unit (you can
download everything to your PC) propietary. That is now long since
history but people will often bring it up as a grip.

JPI's problem is a fundamental way of thinking of customers as idiots.
They know better so shut the hell up. My avionics shop wanted to sell
me a JPI analyzer. I said anyopdy but JPI, never, ever JPI. They
readily acknoweledge they don't like JPI's attitude either and
especially can't stand their president but they make good stuff. They
do make good stuff but I'll never buy it.
Old October 4th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

I spoke to their president once and complained about the fact that
their individual fuel flow unit was less expensive than adding it to my
EDM. The company line is that integrating the two is of value, but
unless you are running a full 800 with HP it really doesn't buy you
much other than to graph them together. However, he took out a business
card and wrote on the back that I could purchase the fuel flow addition
to my EDM for the cost of the independent unit.

-robert

Old October 4th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

I have the JPI EDM700 with fuel flow and consider it an excellent
instrument. It's been extremely valuable in both pinpointing and
isolating abnormalities in cylinder performance.

The fuel totalizer is really great on long trips. I have it linked to
my Garmin 430 for "fuel at arrival" estimates en route. I also like
the "mpg" readout for tuning mixture and headwinds.

Old October 4th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Guy Byars

The fuel totalizer is really great on long trips. I have it linked to
my Garmin 430 for "fuel at arrival" estimates en route. I also like
the "mpg" readout for tuning mixture and headwinds.

I agree. I especially like the feature that shows the number of gallons of
reserve you will have at your destination. Once on a long trip with strong
headwinds (5 hours!), It was very reassuring to know that after adjusting my
cruising altitude, I would have a 20 gallon reserve.

Old October 4th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

One of the employees of JPI got on the Cessna Pilots Assoc message
board, CPA provides free aceess to any vendor who wants it, last winter
I think and basically told the whole community they were idiots, this
went on for weeks. Quit bitchin' about our new proprietary software and
by the way EI and everybody else sucks. It was a textbook case of how
not to treat customers. There is absolutely nothing JPI can ever do to
get my business. Nothing. If I had their **** in my plane I would
immediately remove it.

Old October 4th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

I remember that. I don't recall if it was in USNET or in one of the
owner's mailing lists but someone shared some quotes from the JPI rep.
The guy was surely rude. I guess I can see why someone would not be
happy with JPI. However, I'd not had much reason to talk to the JPI
guys and I'm happy with the product, but I'm not buying gas at CITCO

-Robert

Old October 4th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

JPI's problem is a fundamental way of thinking of customers as idiots.
They know better so shut the hell up. My avionics shop wanted to sell me
a JPI analyzer. I said anyopdy but JPI, never, ever JPI. They readily
acknoweledge they don't like JPI's attitude either and especially can't
stand their president but they make good stuff. They do make good stuff
but I'll never buy it.

I notice Advanced Pilot Seminars used to "endorse" JPI, but their page now
carries the links to EI and Insight, but not JPI.

http://www.advancedpilot.com/index.html

Old October 4th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman

Matt Barrow wrote:

I notice Advanced Pilot Seminars used to "endorse" JPI, but their page now
carries the links to EI and Insight, but not JPI.

I know the principles behind APS, GAMI and Tornado Alley are very much
excited about a new player in the market: Xerion. See
http://www.xerionavionix.com/auracle1.html

Its shipping now for non-certified installations and STCs are supposed to
be comming Real Soon Now.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl" (mostly happy with my EDM-800)

Air Force One Had to Intercept Some Inadvertent Flyers / How? Rick Umali Piloting 29 February 15th 06 05:40 AM
Engine Balancing and Resonance Vibration Problem AllanFuller Owning 13 September 12th 05 12:51 AM
Gyrocopter Speed Mark Rotorcraft 36 August 16th 05 11:28 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
What if the germans... Charles Gray Military Aviation 119 January 27th 04 12:20 AM