Al Parker's Sisu

Old March 19th 05, 12:36 AM
Jack

Default Al Parker's Sisu

I'm going to DC for the first time soon and would like the chance to
see the first glider I ever saw, again. It's my understanding that Al
Parker's Sisu is there and I don't want to miss it.

A touch of background... When I was a kid, my brother Jessie was
helping Len Neimi build the Sisus and was building the trailers. We
moved from a small town to Ft. Worth about then. The first one I saw
was Al Parker's. I was 9. I was placed in the unfinished cockpit and
thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. We went on some
adventurous delivery trips, the longest being to Elmira to deliver one
to Gleb Derujunski (sp). I've been a glider fanatic ever since.

Anyone have any information on that particular Sisu?

Thanks in advance.

Jack Womack

Old March 20th 05, 06:20 PM
Hans Disma

Jack,

That particular ship was # 1 ( SISU 1A N6930X ) and I owned it for 10
years.
Dick Johnson flew her during the Worlds in Argentina and should have won,
wasn't it for a misinformation by his crew !
During the period I owned her I had it overhauled by 3 ( ! ) firms. I will
not go in detail how much it cost me and at which annoyance. The last person
did a great job however and deliverd what he promised and I can only praise
him for his work. His name is George Applebay.

Last year I sold my SISU to it's new happy owner; Paul Hanson and he
brought the ship over to the Convention this year I understood.

Hans
owner of Phönix # 3

"Jack" schreef in bericht
oups.com...

Old March 21st 05, 07:22 PM

The Sisu 1A's had 3-digit serial numbers. The original owner of 001,
N6390X, was Gleb Derujinsky. 002, N1100Z, was bought by John Randall,
who sold it to Al Parker, who made the first soaring flight exceeding
1,000 kilometers in it. He later traded it to Jack Baugh, who donated
it to NASM.

The above information is from Russ Lee's 2004 National Soaring Museum
Barnaby Lecture, "Arlington Sisu: Rise and Demise of America's Most
Successful Competition Sailplane and the Beginning of the Era of
Fiberglass." It was published in the NSM Journal, Vol. 26, No. 2, and
mailed to NSM members.

Hans Disma wrote:
Jack,

That particular ship was # 1 ( SISU 1A N6930X ) and I owned it for

10
years.
Dick Johnson flew her during the Worlds in Argentina and should have

won,
wasn't it for a misinformation by his crew !
During the period I owned her I had it overhauled by 3 ( ! ) firms. I

will
not go in detail how much it cost me and at which annoyance. The last

person
did a great job however and deliverd what he promised and I can only

praise
him for his work. His name is George Applebay.

Last year I sold my SISU to it's new happy owner; Paul Hanson and he
brought the ship over to the Convention this year I understood.

Hans
owner of Ph=F6nix # 3

"Jack" schreef in bericht
oups.com...