F-14s heading to aircraft graveyard

Old August 27th 04, 12:56 AM
Otis Willie

Default F-14s heading to aircraft graveyard

F-14s heading to aircraft graveyard

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...&article=24037

{EXCERPT}, by Greg Tyler, Stars and Stripes Pacific edition, Friday,
August 27, 2004

ONBOARD USS JOHN C. STENNIS, Sasebo, Japan — The U.S. Navy’s meanest,
fastest and most agile fighter jet, nearing retirement, is deployed in
the western Pacific Ocean for the last time.

The Grumman F-14, which entered military service in 1972, also is a
movie star. At least for aviation aficionados, it upstaged actors
including T...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
(310) 532-0634
Old August 27th 04, 01:54 AM
Pooh Bear

Otis Willie wrote:

F-14s heading to aircraft graveyard

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...&article=24037

{EXCERPT},

" they built these jets without cutting edges … "

A *non cutting edge* jet ? I think maybe the word intended was corners.

Worthy of Quayle or Bush jr. ;-)

Graham

Old August 27th 04, 05:53 AM
Bob Urz

Otis Willie wrote:

F-14s heading to aircraft graveyard

So, does this mean we will soon be seeing QF-14 drones?
Maverick, Goose and jester would be crying.....

Bob

Old August 27th 04, 06:46 AM
Pooh Bear

Bob Urz wrote:

Otis Willie wrote:

F-14s heading to aircraft graveyard

So, does this mean we will soon be seeing QF-14 drones?
Maverick, Goose and jester would be crying.....

Hi, Bob !

Graham

Old August 27th 04, 08:15 AM
Krztalizer

So, does this mean we will soon be seeing QF-14 drones?
Maverick, Goose and jester would be crying.....

Not Goose -- he's dead. Jester took a job with AA and Mav lost everything in
the Tailhook scandal. Iceman is still around, but he got pidgeonholed into
some hellish Pentagon staff job and is due to retire...
Old August 28th 04, 01:19 PM
Prowlus

Otis Willie wrote in message . ..
[...]

Wonder what stopping any of those tomcats from being bought up and
flown by private owners? Surely someone has gotta keep at least 1 or 2
jets airworthy just to remind future generations what the f-14 stood
for.
As for VF-31 I wonder if they'll rename themselves the "Rhinos"?
Old August 28th 04, 03:56 PM
John Carrier

Wonder what stopping any of those tomcats from being bought up and
flown by private owners? Surely someone has gotta keep at least 1 or 2
jets airworthy just to remind future generations what the f-14 stood
for.

How about dollars? Not only would the fuel costs be high (roughly 2000 gal
of JP per sortie), but the maintenance man hours would eat you alive (don't
know the latest figures, but well over 20 hrs/flt hr). Parts cost would be
up there as well. I'd venture that Travolta's personal 707 is a bargain by
comparison. Even millionaires have their limits. How about a nice F-5
instead?

R / John

Old August 28th 04, 04:09 PM
John Mullen

"John Carrier" wrote in message
Wonder what stopping any of those tomcats from being bought up and
flown by private owners? Surely someone has gotta keep at least 1 or 2
jets airworthy just to remind future generations what the f-14 stood
for.

How about dollars? Not only would the fuel costs be high (roughly 2000
gal of JP per sortie), but the maintenance man hours would eat you alive
(don't know the latest figures, but well over 20 hrs/flt hr). Parts cost
would be up there as well. I'd venture that Travolta's personal 707 is a
bargain by comparison. Even millionaires have their limits. How about a
nice F-5 instead?

I wonder if Iran would be interested?

John

Old August 28th 04, 07:29 PM
Krztalizer

Wonder what stopping any of those tomcats from being bought up and
flown by private owners? Surely someone has gotta keep at least 1 or 2
jets airworthy just to remind future generations what the f-14 stood
for.

It won't happen for a variety of reasons - chief among them, the incredible
complexity of the system and the hard working career that these jets served in
for decades. Unlike earlier, less complex carrier aircraft, the Turkey
requires a veritable army of ground support and supplies. They've been
bouncing off steel decks for 30 years; they did it well, but they are now
getting quickly worn out. Even vast amounts of money can't keep one of these
flying much longer - it will end up like that CAF Marauder; spend $$$$$ to
revive an edgy, very tricky and state of the art warplane that should be
preserved in museums for all to see - instead, some small group of people at a
quickly forgotten airshow will get to watch it crash. They should be allowed
to retire in a manner that does not include troublesome crashes while being
flown by hobbyists, tickerers, and bored rich.

Unless *I* get one, then stand back, Mav.

v/r
Gordon
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.