CFI renewal strangeness?

Old December 17th 05, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default CFI renewal strangeness?

CAP is offering to do my CFI renewals for free (or nearly so) while
taking their National Check Pilot annual course. However, if my CFI
expires in Feb I don't see anyway to reset it to be in July without
actually taking a ride with a DE. It does not appear that I can renew
via a course more than 3 months out. Am I missing a trick? What is the
reasoning before the 3 month limit? Why not make it like a BFR (which
you can take anytime early)?

-Robert

Old December 17th 05, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

You have time to take an online course. I did it in a week. Contact
Jeppessen (sp?) or similar. If you leave up to CAP you will be lucky to
get it within a year of when they indicate (knowng how CAP works, they
are the very definition of SLOW around here).

Old December 17th 05, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The 90 day renewal grace period allows you to retain your
current expiration date. For example, I attended the AOPA
FIRC in October and that allowed me to retain my January
expiration date. I can, attend another FIRC, at any time
and renew based on that date to reset my expiration date.
You can renew as often as you wish, but unless you are
within that 90 period, you will get a new date.

So if you want a July date, attend a FIRC or take an online
course or fly a practical test in July.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

oups.com...

Old December 17th 05, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

No, I think the issue is that if I turn in a renewal sooner than 3
months before I expire, the FARs say the FSDO has to throw it away. So
the question is, how do I reset the time of my CFI renewal when I can
only renew 3 months early (it will take almost a decade to get it back
to July).

-Robert

Old December 17th 05, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim,
Thanks! So I guess I was confused a little bit. I thought the 3 months
meant that you cannot submit your renewal sooner than 3 months before
(not attempting to retain your original renewal date). Reading the FARs
it sounded to me like they were trying to avoid CFIs renewing early.

-Robert

Old December 17th 05, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It is. The normal CAP course required for check pilots is 1.5 days. CFI
renewals are required to show up early to make it 2 full days.

Old December 21st 05, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
CAP is offering to do my CFI renewals for free (or nearly so) while
taking their National Check Pilot annual course. However, if my CFI
expires in Feb I don't see anyway to reset it to be in July without
actually taking a ride with a DE. It does not appear that I can renew
via a course more than 3 months out. Am I missing a trick? What is the
reasoning before the 3 month limit? Why not make it like a BFR (which
you can take anytime early)?

-Robert

The three months is so you can take the course early and keep the
original expiration date. Maybe that doesn't matter to you, maybe it does.

Mine expires in February too, and I'm paranoid - Jeppeson got my
paperwork in two years ago with hours to spare, so I've got no idea what
I'll do this time.