Airports around Framingham MA

Old July 19th 05, 06:32 AM
Mr. Smith

Marlboro 9B1 is closest, although it is the shortest runway in MA (1650 ft).
But those who use it claim you get used to short landings & takeoffs

Norfolk 32M is nearby, but I keep hearing it is going to close etc.

Hopedale (1B6) is a desolate little airstrip with no services although some
fuel is available. I fly in and out of there a lot and there appear to be a
few tiedowns available.

These are each small-time landing strips without a lot of facilities.

Old July 19th 05, 09:20 AM
Ron Natalie

ShawnD2112 wrote:
Yeah, I always thought the stop sign was a great piece of installed humor.
Funny about the trees, too, because my Dad used to fly out of there back in
the early 70s and he tells the story of how one night some of them just
mysteriously disappeared. Sounds like they've grown back (or others have
taken their place as obstacles).

Sounds like a private strip around here. There are some pesky trees
off the end of the runway that the community that owns the airstrip
wouldn't cut down unless they were diseased. Well, it seems one night
they caught the almost-aways-fatal "chainsaw" disease.

Old July 19th 05, 05:58 PM
ShawnD2112

Yeah but Plum Island made it work. Maybe a call to them about how they did
it might help?

Shawn
"Aaron Coolidge" wrote in message
Mr. Smith wrote:
: Norfolk 32M is nearby, but I keep hearing it is going to close etc.

Norfolk is a sad story. Its owner was killed in a banner-towing crash a
few
years ago. Since then, all of the aircraft have been kicked out. Several
groups have been trying to re-start this field, with no success as of yet.
It is not officially closed, as a call to flight service will verify, but
the town won't let anyone base there. It's one of those "I own the runway
but someone else owns the taxiways & tiedowns" things, like Plum Island.

--
Aaron C.

Old July 20th 05, 02:55 AM

Thanks for the info.
I'll need a hangar since I have a bunch of tools and other things to put
there.
Putting the old Bo on ropes doesn't seem like fun.

I still haven't gotten the job offer, still waiting. Would love to get
to the Northeast.

BTW, I do IFR certifications in my spare time, what do people get for
those up there?

Cheers

Dave