LS-6b Spoiler Issues

Old March 31st 13, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stu

Default LS-6b Spoiler Issues

A friend of mine has a LS-6b and on several recent occasions the spoilers have opened when he changes the flap settings during normal flight. The linkage for the spoilers goes through the push tube that operates the flaps and sometimes that has deployed the spoilers during normal cruising flight. Has anyone else had that problem and what has been the solution to the problem. During the last several annuals we have tried to clean the tube and pushrods, but it has not helped much.
Old April 1st 13, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:23:18 PM UTC-7, Stu wrote:
A friend of mine has a LS-6b and on several recent occasions the spoilers have opened when he changes the flap settings during normal flight. The linkage for the spoilers goes through the push tube that operates the flaps and sometimes that has deployed the spoilers during normal cruising flight. Has anyone else had that problem and what has been the solution to the problem. During the last several annuals we have tried to clean the tube and pushrods, but it has not helped much.

One of the spoilers may not be going into complete over-center locking position. I'd check each wing separately for complete and proper lock that pulls the spoiler down approximately 2mm after the cap seats flush in the wing. This is easily checked by lifting the spoiler cap and sliding several dimes under the cap, then close and lock the spoiler. Locked spoiler cap should be flush.........don't forget to retrieve your dimes. It should take 5 to 10 pounds of force to lock each properly adjusted spoiler.
Hope this helps,
JJ
Old April 1st 13, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stu

On Sunday, March 31, 2013 4:23:18 PM UTC-6, Stu wrote:
A friend of mine has a LS-6b and on several recent occasions the spoilers have opened when he changes the flap settings during normal flight. The linkage for the spoilers goes through the push tube that operates the flaps and sometimes that has deployed the spoilers during normal cruising flight. Has anyone else had that problem and what has been the solution to the problem. During the last several annuals we have tried to clean the tube and pushrods, but it has not helped much.

Thanks JJ. That is what I suspected. We will see if that fixes the issues..