Installing a wood prop...

Old July 19th 05, 02:57 PM
SteveR SteveR is offline
Junior Member

Location: Dallas, TX
Default Installing a wood prop...

Tonight I'm going to install a prop on my plane (Pietenpol with a Continental A-75) and go up for a quick flight. I've never done a prop install before, so I want to make sure I get it right.

I figured I'll torque the bolts, run the plane for 10-15 minutes on the ground, check the torque, take it up for a brief test flight, then check the torque again. Any tips or things I should be careful for or watch for? I'm a little nervous as I'll be doing it without anyone looking over my shoulder.
Old July 19th 05, 05:13 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

--
SteveR

If the prop flys off land immediately.

Other than that it sounds like a plan.

Old July 19th 05, 05:46 PM
David Odum

SteveR wrote:

Tonight I'm going to install a prop on my plane (Pietenpol with a
Continental A-75) and go up for a quick flight. I've never done a prop
install before, so I want to make sure I get it right.

I figured I'll torque the bolts, run the plane for 10-15 minutes on the
ground, check the torque, take it up for a brief test flight, then check
the torque again. Any tips or things I should be careful for or watch
for? I'm a little nervous as I'll be doing it without anyone looking
over my shoulder.

Don't forget the front plate. Make sure the prop bolts aren't
bottoming out on the threads. Don't confuse in-lb with ft-lb(yikes!).
10-15 minutes running on the ground seems unnecessarily long. Just
run up briefly on the ground and recheck torque, then blast off.

David - email: David at AirplaneZone dot com

Old July 19th 05, 05:54 PM
Rich S.

"David Odum" MyFirstName@AirplaneZone wrote in message
Tonight I'm going to install a prop on my plane (Pietenpol with a
Continental A-75) and go up for a quick flight. I've never done a prop
install before, so I want to make sure I get it right.

Don't forget to track the prop to make sure the blades run in the same plane
within the limits established by the prop maker (usually 1/16" - 1/8" or
so).

Rich S.

Old July 19th 05, 06:40 PM
Jan Carlsson

Make sure you back of the bolts before you re-torque them.

HUB COMPRESSION METHOD

Hub Thickness (in.)
Desired Hub Compression
Bolts
Torque

(Bolt Rev.)

3 3/8
0.020
3/8-24
0.49

1/2-20
0.41

4
0.024
3/8-24
0.58

1/2-20
0.48

4 3/4
0.029
3/8-24
0.68

1/2-20
0.57

5 3/8
0.032
3/8-24
0.77

1/2-20
0.65

CAUTION: Final bolt-torque should be within the range shown below,
Table No. 2

TABLE NO. 2

WOOD PROPELLER INSTALLATION

TORQUE WRENCH METHOD

Size of Steel Aircraft Bolts

Specification
dia. (inches)
Recommended Wrench Torque (in-lbs)

AN6
3/8
200 +/- 25

AN7
7/16
250 +/- 25

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Old July 19th 05, 10:13 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Yesterday, the owner of our airport was telling a story about his dad, who
started the field. Seems that during the war (WW-II) you were not allowed
to fly north and south along the Jersey coast. There was a 10-mile wide
corridor west from NY to the Delaware river that you had to take before you
could turn north or south. In addition, you had to take your prop off the
plane when it was tied down, for security reasons. One day a Cub landed and
while he was chatting with the owner, George noticed that the prop bolts
were all loose, While he carried on his conversation, he quietly unscrewed
the bolts by hand and suddenly, at a break in the chitchat, handed the pilot
his prop. Got the guy's attention.

You might want to consider safety wire, even for a short hop.

Old July 19th 05, 10:24 PM
Rich S.

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
While he carried on his conversation, he quietly unscrewed the bolts by
hand and suddenly, at a break in the chitchat, handed the pilot his prop.
Got the guy's attention.

Great story! LOL

Rich S.

Old July 20th 05, 01:31 AM
Cy Galley

Go to http://www.sensenichprop.com/sen_htm...stall/cf-a.pdf
And Down load the PDF. It answers ALL your prop questions.

--
Cy Galley - Chair,
AirVenture Emergency Aircraft Repair

Old July 20th 05, 03:05 AM
jls

"SteveR" wrote in message

Tonight I'm going to install a prop on my plane (Pietenpol with a
Continental A-75) and go up for a quick flight. I've never done a prop
install before, so I want to make sure I get it right.

I figured I'll torque the bolts, run the plane for 10-15 minutes on the
ground, check the torque, take it up for a brief test flight, then check
the torque again. Any tips or things I should be careful for or watch
for? I'm a little nervous as I'll be doing it without anyone looking
over my shoulder.

--
SteveR

Sensenich recommends 200 inch/lbs., plus or minus 15, on wooden props for
the A-75 and tracking tolerance at 1/16th inch maximum. And you should
re-torque occasionally.

If you need to correct prop track use mylar rather than paper because paper
is hygroscopic and will cause your flange to rust. It did mine, so I bought
some mylar and cut semicircular pieces which fit over three nuts behind the
propeller. After several trials and errors I ended up with three layers of
mylar and dead nuts track.

Old wives' tales in these parts say you should keep your wooden prop level
at horizontal so that it stays balanced.

I have gone to single strand .041 wire to safety the prop bolts. All that
twisting double strands and straining and grunting -- and sooner or later
you will skin your beautiful prop. Plus, it's hard to fit a skullcap
spinner over double-stranded wire.

BTW, a well-finished wooden prop is an aesthetically pleasing thing on an
aircraft or over a mantle. Most people say it's gentler on your crankshaft,
but for the little Continental engines it's not as efficient as the TCDS
prop in aluminum from Sensenich or McCauley.

Old July 20th 05, 04:13 AM
Mark Hickey

"Rich S." wrote:

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
While he carried on his conversation, he quietly unscrewed the bolts by
hand and suddenly, at a break in the chitchat, handed the pilot his prop.
Got the guy's attention.

Great story! LOL

Having a prop depart in mid-flight would be a rush in a Cub.

Imagine it in a fast glass airplane with a stall speed north of the
Cub's cruising speed... YOW!

Mark "instant glider" Hickey