Just push the blue button!

Old October 4th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Just push the blue button!

Thomas Borchert writes:

The conditions may have been such that you could not maintain your
flight attitude without reference to instruments - but that's got
nothing to do with IMC.

It doesn't matter, since you risk ending up dead either way.
Old October 4th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Mike writes:

I think it would have taken more than just a bit of haze to trip him
up.

From what I've heard about him, it sounds like a bit of haze would be more
than enough to trip him up.
Old October 4th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Thomas Borchert writes:

The conditions may have been such that you could not maintain your
flight attitude without reference to instruments - but that's got
nothing to do with IMC.

It doesn't matter, since you risk ending up dead either way.

You're an idiot.

Bertie
Old October 4th 08, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Mike writes:

I think it would have taken more than just a bit of haze to trip him
up.

From what I've heard about him, it sounds like a bit of haze would be
more than enough to trip him up.

Like you'd know, fjukkwit.

Bertie
Old October 5th 08, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

Anthony, how would you know about Kennedy, Lindberg, or anyone else? Have
you ever flown with them? Of course not. Have you ever flown at all- of
course not.

So, you've never flown or even taken a lesson, yet you presume to judge
others who have actually gone through the process?

Not likely by any criteria.

Old October 5th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bill Denton[_3_]

One thing regarding Steve Fossett...

He was flying a Super Decathlon, many of which do not carry any gyro
instruments.

Gyros do not like aerobatics, which is one of the primary missions of the
Super Decathlon.

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message
.. .
"Bob F." wrote in message
. ..
"Mike" nospam@ microsoft.com wrote in message
news
"Tman" x@x wrote in message
. ..
Bob Noel wrote:

hmmm, all the wx reports I saw were legal VMC (not smart VMC, but
still \
I think you're confusing VMC and VFR.
It may have been legal VFR.
legal). Do you have reference to reports that the conditions were not
VMC?
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable
cause(s) of this accident as follows:
The pilot's failure to maintain control of the airplane during a
descent over water at night, which was a result of spatial
disorientation. Factors in the accident were haze, and the dark night.

That's IMC buddy. Could be a clear VACU night over water with no
moonlight, and if you can't maintain a horizon due to those factors,
thats IMC even though it is also very much legal VFR.

No, that's not necessarily IMC. IMC means less than legal VFR.

I believe he WAS in IMC, however there's little doubt he was at least in
instrument conditions, which is not the same as IMC.

As they say, looks like he flew into Cumulo-Granite.

--
Regards, Bob F.

Loks like you are combining multiple accidents:

1. J.F.Kennedy Jr. was asserted to be VFR in VMC sans horizon with
horizontal visiblility well above minimum. He was generally regarded as a
novice pilot and may have shown poor decision making and instrument
skills.

2. Some have recently speculated that Steve Fossett may have encountered
a mountain while in or exiting a brief period of IMC; but that has
certainly not been established. He was regarded as an excellent pilot
with, so far as I know, no detractors.

Somehow, the parallel is not obvious.

Old October 5th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel[_2_]

Mike wrote:
but the question I would have for you was
why do you feel the burning desire to ask questions in which you are
already convinced of the answer?

You are making an invalid assumption. I merely asked if you (or anyone)
had seen wx reports that the conditions were IMC. I was seeking
information. Please don't attempt to read more into the question
than that.
Old October 5th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
but the question I would have for you was
why do you feel the burning desire to ask questions in which you are
already convinced of the answer?

You are making an invalid assumption. I merely asked if you (or anyone)
had seen wx reports that the conditions were IMC. I was seeking
information. Please don't attempt to read more into the question
than that.

No, that's not what you asked. Go back and read it again.

You asked a question and when you didn't like the response you answered it
yourself. Where I come from, that's known as CS. YMMV.

Old October 5th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel[_3_]

In article ,

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
but the question I would have for you was
why do you feel the burning desire to ask questions in which you are
already convinced of the answer?

You are making an invalid assumption. I merely asked if you (or anyone)
had seen wx reports that the conditions were IMC. I was seeking
information. Please don't attempt to read more into the question
than that.

No, that's not what you asked. Go back and read it again.

To the contrary. It is what I asked. quote "hmmm, all the wx reports
I saw were legal VMC (not smart VMC, but still legal). Do you have
reference to reports that the conditions were not VMC?"
Old October 5th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 19:53:05 GMT, "Mike" nospam@ microsoft.com
wrote:

"Tech Support" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 21:28:05 -0400, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:

Cirrus has added a new auto level button on their latest planes. Will a
button on the stick that you push to automatically reset the plane to
straight and level make any difference on Cirrus accidents or is it just a
gimmick? What say you?

Darkwing

I'm told that some of the latest Fighters have a sensor that detects
if the pilot blacks out due to the high 'G's' the newest fighters can
pull and hold and that it returns the aircraft to level flight at
cruise power settings, automatically.

I know of several accidents that would have been prevented if that
system had been in plane as the performance of Fighters increased and
they could hold sustained high "G's" at structural limit.

The F-20, two of which were lost due to, "G" induced pilot
incapacitation.

First was at Goose Bay, Labrador. Bird was on way to Paris Air Show
and pilot went up to practice his show routine. After some maneuvers
bird flew into ground in a long shallow glide angle and accident
report cited pilot blackout as cause.

The second was in Korea when a Koran General was being given a demo
ride. Same thing and two more fatalities.

The last, of three built, was given to the Air and Space Gallery in
LA when Air Force and overseas sales did not materialize and F-16 was
bought instead. Politics was involved as the F-20 out classed F-16 in
many respects.

Big John

That's rather like comparing a formula one race car to the family sedan and
saying what is a great idea for one is automatically a great idea for the
other.

It very well may be a great idea, but you certainly can't justify it using a
military aircraft as an example. There's not too many Cirrus pilots who are
likely to experience a G induced blackout, and even if they did they
probably will have bigger problems to worry about anyway.

Mike

Sorry. Didn't mean to advocate putting a military system in Ga but
original question was about a blue button that would recover Cirrus
aircraft. My post was to show that a system was in operation that
would do it in heavy iron (either automatically or pilot activated) so
technology is there.

Big John