Logbook entries webscript

Old August 18th 05, 08:59 PM
Pascal Duchemin

Default Logbook entries webscript

Hello,

I pratically never post in this group but love to read other people
experiences, it is so "enriching".
A friend of mine and I wrote a script ( some kind of program ) that
allows me to add my logbook entries in a more informal way than my
normal paper logbook. You can check it out at http://aviation.duchemin.org
For those who have a personal website and would like to get the script
going please don't hesitate to let me know and I could send it to you
and help you out. I know that there are tons of free and non free
softwares available to do the same thing but never found something easy
to use and all web enabled.
My goal is to get feedbacks from other pilots and enhance the script;
right now it's pretty basic and does the job for me but it might not do
the job for others.
Thanks for sharing your experiences on this group guys and have safe
flights !
Old August 18th 05, 09:53 PM
Ben Hallert

Looks like a good start. Consider changing the color scheme to be a
bit more readable, dark on dark is rough on the ol' eyes.

Check out http://www.logshare.com/ while you're at it. A bunch of us
use it, and it can export to a machine readable format. Might be worth
making an import function to upload that file to for anyone who wants
to try yours out.

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old August 18th 05, 11:02 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Pascal Duchemin said:
normal paper logbook. You can check it out at http://aviation.duchemin.org
For those who have a personal website and would like to get the script

It's probably not necessary to list t/o and landings separately. Except
when you're in the air, we generally assume those numbers are equal.
Counting approaches would make more sense.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
It could have been raining flaming bulldozers, and those idiots would have
Old August 18th 05, 11:15 PM
Jose

It's probably not necessary to list t/o and landings separately. Except
when you're in the air, we generally assume those numbers are equal.
Counting approaches would make more sense.

What does make sense is counting night takeoffs and night landings.
Often overlooked, night takeoffs are required for currency.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
Old August 19th 05, 12:21 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jose" wrote in message
m...
It's probably not necessary to list t/o and landings separately. Except
when you're in the air, we generally assume those numbers are equal.
Counting approaches would make more sense.

What does make sense is counting night takeoffs and night landings. Often
overlooked, night takeoffs are required for currency.

True, sort of. Why "sort of? For many pilots one still doesn't need to
track those separately.

I only log a night landing as such if I also had a night takeoff. I can't
rule out that I may one day actually wake up early enough to have a night
takeoff without a night landing, but it has never happened, and seems very
unlikely. So I can safely log restrict my logging of night landings to
those that also include a night takeoff, and ensure compliance with the
night currency rules without sacrificing any night landings that might
otherwise have been useful.

Pilots who may have night takeoffs without night landings may find they need
the "day takeoff, night landing" flights to be logged more precisely.
However, I do suspect that for most of THOSE pilots, they are flying so
much, maintaining night currency isn't really much of an issue however they
log it.

Oddly enough, the paper logbooks I've seen don't actually provide an easy
way to track night currency (I put all of my landings in the same column,
but water and night landings use a special notation to distinguish them).
But I do have a "Night Landings" column in my Excel spreadsheet (and no
record of takeoffs at all).

Pete

Old August 19th 05, 04:15 AM
buttman

You can also have the pilot controlling the airplane during the
takeiff, and the co-pilot controlling the airplane during the landing.
Me and my instructor have done this a few times. My night takeoff total
and my night landing total are probably a little different.