Biggest bonehead moves flying into OSH?

Old July 30th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

Default Biggest bonehead moves flying into OSH?

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

However, my point was simply to take issue with the OP's assertion
that "survival rate after ditching is very low". The stats simply
don't back this up. Sure we can always find exceptional situations
that are almost guaranteed to be fatal, but unless the OP clarifies
otherwise, this statement was nothing more than repeating an OWT.
Ditching is quite survivable.

The OP's assertion had nothing to do with the ditching.

Ah. I must have been confused by the "after ditching" part...

If either of you have stats to the contrary - even if they're specific to
Lake Michigan, I'm interested.

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old July 30th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"John T" wrote in message
m...

Ah. I must have been confused by the "after ditching" part...

I have no idea what confused you.

Old July 30th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net

[nothing of consequence]

Old August 2nd 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alan Gerber

B A R R Y wrote:
A VFR service is offered in the Cape Cod, Islands, and Long Island
area that works similar to what you describe, with position reporting.

Where can I learn about this? I'm planning a trip in that direction, and
it sounds useful.

.... Alan
--
Alan Gerber
PP-ASEL
Old August 2nd 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Alan Gerber wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
A VFR service is offered in the Cape Cod, Islands, and Long Island
area that works similar to what you describe, with position reporting.

Where can I learn about this? I'm planning a trip in that direction, and
it sounds useful.

... Alan

AIM 4-1-20 "Hazardous Area Reporting Service"

There are separate sections for Long Island Sound, Block Island Sound,
and Cape Cod and the Islands. The same service is also offered for the
Great Lakes and Everglades.

If I'm VFR, I typically use a standard flight following based on the
following reasoning:

1.) I always use VFR FF, as I prefer all the assistance I can get
spotting traffic, identifying active jump zones, etc...
2.) In case of emergency, I'm already up with a TRACON. Other aircraft
in the area also with the TRACON will hear my emergency and hopefully
see where I go down.
3.) I don't have to do anything special as I go "feet wet" and "feet
dry", but I would with the special over water service.
4.) I've never been denied a VFR flight following by Cape, NY, or Boston
approach.

I try to keep aware of the special service should #4 ever change.

Old August 3rd 07, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Hawkeye[_2_]

At some point as this event continues to grow, they may have to
implement a 'gateway' system for pilots who are enroute to OSH.
Several satellite locations where pilots must stop to be briefed and
given a card that is visible in the window or ribbon attached to a
tiedown ring showing they made the stop. At this gateway stop they
would be briefed and receive a copy of the NOTAM. Information about
alternate fields in case they arrive when the field was 'closed'.

I know the NOTAM is posted on the AirVenture website and is available
through FAA channels, but I bet many who arrive without ever seeing
one don't use the internet or file a flight plan and get a briefing
about their planned route or destination.

Several years ago I met a gentleman who was in line following the FISK
procedures, he was waved off after the aircraft in front of him landed
short when he was suppose to land long. The controllers guided him
around and slipped him into a gap of arrivals line once more, only to
have an airliner depart just as he was crossing the lake shore on
final. Again the FAA controller waved him off. He said, if no one but
me is going to follow directions I'm going elsewhere, which he did
returning later after the traffic flow of arrivals had eased.

Old August 3rd 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

I think it was last year that one of the avweb columnists suggested
that they implement a 300 dollar landing fee at Oshkosh, 100% waived
if the pilot has a physical copy of the NOTAM with him in the
aircraft.

I personally think its a fantastic idea.

-Scott

Old August 3rd 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

At some point as this event continues to grow, they may have to
implement a 'gateway' system for pilots who are enroute to OSH.
Several satellite locations where pilots must stop to be briefed and
given a card that is visible in the window or ribbon attached to a
tiedown ring showing they made the stop. At this gateway stop they
would be briefed and receive a copy of the NOTAM. Information about
alternate fields in case they arrive when the field was 'closed'.

Given that there is a small-but-steady percentage of idiots who
descend into OSH without seeing (or reading) the NOTAM, I fail to see
how this procedure would help. These same fools will simply fail to
follow the instructions to land at the satellite airports.

What is needed is enforcement action against the dunderheaded. A
couple of well-publicized busts *might* get the message out?
(Although this tactic didn't work with the Washington ADIZ, now, did
it?)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 3rd 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Luke Skywalker

On Aug 3, 1:04 pm, Hawkeye wrote:
At some point as this event continues to grow, they may have to
implement a 'gateway' system for pilots who are enroute to OSH.
Several satellite locations where pilots must stop to be briefed and
given a card that is visible in the window or ribbon attached to a
tiedown ring showing they made the stop. At this gateway stop they
would be briefed and receive a copy of the NOTAM. Information about
alternate fields in case they arrive when the field was 'closed'.

I know the NOTAM is posted on the AirVenture website and is available
through FAA channels, but I bet many who arrive without ever seeing
one don't use the internet or file a flight plan and get a briefing
about their planned route or destination.

Hello:

Just "right" off the bat that strikes me as a suggestion with some
merit...

again just my first thought after reading it...a landing at a sat
field would be required with some record taken of who did what
(including N numbers) and if one lands at OSH without that briefing
and your N number isnt on the paper (or try to land and this part
might be difficult to enforce but once on the deck it should be
easier) then there are some serious FAA FSDO problems.

IT might be considered like an "airshow" briefing of such.

there are doubtless some problems with your suggestion but it seems on
its face worthy of discussion.

Robert

Old August 3rd 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Luke Skywalker" wrote

Just "right" off the bat that strikes me as a suggestion with some
merit...

again just my first thought after reading it...a landing at a sat
field would be required with some record taken of who did what
(including N numbers) and if one lands at OSH without that briefing
and your N number isnt on the paper (or try to land and this part
might be difficult to enforce but once on the deck it should be
easier) then there are some serious FAA FSDO problems.

An out landing is not necessary for those who have the NOTAM, and have read
(and understand) it.

The idea of requiring that the NOTAM be on board is what needs to be
enacted, and enforced.
--
Jim in NC

US military moves to cut helicopter accident rates Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 October 5th 05 03:19 AM
Bonehead move today Viperdoc Piloting 31 August 16th 05 07:27 AM
Policy on Syria Moves Toward Regime Change (for Israel) Truthseeker Naval Aviation 0 June 10th 05 10:07 PM
ATC Privatization moves forward! Larry Dighera Piloting 8 November 26th 03 01:21 AM
U.S. Air Force Moves Ahead With Studies On Air-Breathing Engines Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 29th 03 03:31 AM