Flight above 60,000 ft

Old July 28th 07, 08:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Charles Talleyrand

Default Flight above 60,000 ft

I just picked up a used U-2. It's quite a hoot to fly, but I'm having
some trouble. Maybe you can help me out.

1) When I go cruising above 60,000 ft I cancel my IFR clearance. Then
I buzz around a bit. But how do I come back down legally? Obviously
I need an IFR clearance to decend back down to FL 590, but Center does
not have to grant my request for a sudden IFR clearance. I have
limited fuel. What should I do?

2) While I'm up above FL 600, I'm self-seperating from the other
traffic. But my friend also has a U-2 and we sometimes frequent the
same airspace. It's nearly impossible to see another plane with a
closure rate of 1,200 mph, and U-2s don't have TCAS. Can I request
flight following at these altitudes, just for the help with
separation?

3) I was right at 59,999 feet and requested a climb of two feet. The
controller denied my request! Can he do that? It really wastes fuel
to fly around so low!

-Much Thanks
-Charles Talleyrand, U2 pilot

Old July 28th 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Jay Beckman[_2_]

I think "You Two" need some help...

;O)

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
(And so am I...)

Old July 28th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
150flivver

On Jul 28, 2:52 am, Charles Talleyrand wrote:
[...]

1. File a composite flight plan, IFR-VFR-IFR.
2. Request flight following but realize it's up to ATC to give it on a
workload permitting basis.
3. If in contact with ATC, you must follow their instructions. Make
your request but follow any instructions they give you.

At least that's the way I do it

Old July 28th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Aluckyguess

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just picked up a used U-2. It's quite a hoot to fly, but I'm having
some trouble. Maybe you can help me out.

1) When I go cruising above 60,000 ft I cancel my IFR clearance. Then
I buzz around a bit. But how do I come back down legally? Obviously
I need an IFR clearance to decend back down to FL 590, but Center does
not have to grant my request for a sudden IFR clearance. I have
limited fuel. What should I do?

Turn the transponder to the off position

2) While I'm up above FL 600, I'm self-seperating from the other
traffic. But my friend also has a U-2 and we sometimes frequent the
same airspace. It's nearly impossible to see another plane with a
closure rate of 1,200 mph, and U-2s don't have TCAS. Can I request
flight following at these altitudes, just for the help with
separation?

I believe the plane has radar.

3) I was right at 59,999 feet and requested a climb of two feet. The
controller denied my request! Can he do that? It really wastes fuel
to fly around so low!

Who cares no one can catch you.

Old July 28th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Charles Talleyrand said:
1) When I go cruising above 60,000 ft I cancel my IFR clearance. Then

Why? It's class E, you can stay on your IFR clearance.

3) I was right at 59,999 feet and requested a climb of two feet. The
controller denied my request! Can he do that? It really wastes fuel
to fly around so low!

Request VFR Over The Top. You'll be responsible for separation, but you
can fly your own altitude, but you'll still be IFR.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Mary had a little key,/She kept it in escrow/And everything that Mary
Old July 28th 07, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
oups.com...

I just picked up a used U-2. It's quite a hoot to fly, but I'm having
some trouble. Maybe you can help me out.

1) When I go cruising above 60,000 ft I cancel my IFR clearance. Then
I buzz around a bit. But how do I come back down legally? Obviously
I need an IFR clearance to decend back down to FL 590, but Center does
not have to grant my request for a sudden IFR clearance. I have
limited fuel. What should I do?

You would need an IFR clearance at FL 600. You're right that ATC doesn't
have to grant your request for an IFR popup, but they'd have little reason
to refuse. If that's a concern then don't cancel IFR when you climb above
FL 600.

2) While I'm up above FL 600, I'm self-seperating from the other
traffic. But my friend also has a U-2 and we sometimes frequent the
same airspace. It's nearly impossible to see another plane with a
closure rate of 1,200 mph, and U-2s don't have TCAS. Can I request
flight following at these altitudes, just for the help with
separation?

Sure.

3) I was right at 59,999 feet and requested a climb of two feet. The
controller denied my request! Can he do that? It really wastes fuel
to fly around so low!

Why did you waste his time with a silly request?

Old July 28th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Request VFR Over The Top. You'll be responsible for separation, but you
can fly your own altitude, but you'll still be IFR.

VFR over-the-top is a VFR operation. VFR-on-top is an IFR operation.

Old July 28th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Darkwing

[...]

I just got my SR71 up and running so stay the hell out of my way.

DW

Old July 28th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Charles Talleyrand

On Jul 28, 1:20 pm, "Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:
"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message

I just picked up a used U-2. It's quite a hoot to fly, but I'm having
some trouble. Maybe you can help me out.

I just got my SR71 up and running so stay the hell out of my way.

You are such a fool. There is no civilian supersonic flight over the
US, even above 60,000 feet. Your SR-71 is kinda overkill, and you
must be having trouble landing at some of the smaller grass strips. A
U-2 is the way to go. You can land almost anywhere and still get way
up where the sky turns black.

Besides, our type club is much better than your type club. :-)