Addiction

Old April 1st 04, 01:03 AM
Roger Long

Default Addiction

In the 1970's, I lived in a beautiful and interesting town by the sea where
I spent the best and worst days of my youth. I worked for the most
prestigious oceanographic institution in the nation and fell in love with
marine research. I decided to devote my career as much as possible to the
design of oceanographic research vessels.

I have now designed seven of the research vessels in the Atlantic fleet but
there has been nothing in my professional life that I wanted as much as
seeing the logo of that institution on the stack of a vessel that I
designed. Last Monday, I stood under clear blue skies listening to the
chairman of the ship committee calling the vessel behind him on the
launching ways perhaps the first perfect vessel he had seen. I received a
big round of applause from a crowd that includes friends of 30 years.

I stood there, looked up at the sky and my brain said, "I'd rather be
flying." Yikes! Am I sick? Are we all sick? Most things in life that have
such a hold on people are illegal, immoral, or both. I just fly a simple
spam can around in nice weather on mostly local flights and I still feel
that way.

--
Roger Long

Old April 1st 04, 01:22 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Roger Long wrote:

Most things in life that have
such a hold on people are illegal, immoral, or both.

They're working on that.

George Patterson
Treason is ne'er successful, Sir; what then be the reason? Why, if treason
be successful, Sir, then none dare call it treason.
Old April 1st 04, 02:29 AM
Peter Gottlieb

What better a celebration of your achievements than to soar, free of the
earth, in the beautiful clear blue sky?

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old April 1st 04, 07:56 AM
Bob Fry

"Peter Gottlieb" writes:

What better a celebration of your achievements than to soar, free of the
earth, in the beautiful clear blue sky?

A beautiful clear black night sky, full moon, in a low wing with
bubble canopy.