Quick question about an incident which happend today

Old March 28th 04, 04:18 PM
Richard Hertz

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
Oh, and most importantly, never, never, never talk to atc unless you are
absolutely forced to do so... I haven't looked at the sectional for your
area so you may have had to talk woth them the entire way, but in the

future
always plan your flying so that you only use atc to get into or out of
controlled airspace, and then immediately cancel and go back to squawking
1200... They are NOT your friend...
denny

Old March 28th 04, 04:36 PM
Matthew P. Cummings

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 08:38:12 -0500, Dennis O'Connor wrote:

Oh, and most importantly, never, never, never talk to atc unless you are
absolutely forced to do so... I haven't looked at the sectional for your

Why do you hold that opinion? From my experience ATC has always been a
useful tool that more pilots should utilize.

Old March 28th 04, 04:42 PM
John Clonts

"Chris" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
I have a question for people who fly in CT, and NY often. Today I was
flying from Danbury (DXR) to Brookhaven (HWV). I flew out without

incident.
Coming home I flew from Brookhaven direct to Calverton then to Bridgeport
then direct Danbury using a combination of my sectional chart and GPS as a
backup. The whole route was flown at 3,000 ft with the exception of

takeoff
from Brookhaven and a decent about 8 miles to the south of Danbury. Upon
arrival ground control at Danbury gave me a phone number to contact NY
approach on. I called the number and was transferred to a controller who I
told my call sign the control accused me of flying through the Westchester
County Airports airspace at 2,800 ft. I was never within more then 20

Miles
of White Plains on my whole route. This is confirmed with my GPS which has
the tracked route stored in it and my by extensive knowledge of the area.

also confirmed I was directly over Bridgeport and flew in-between the

lakes
in the area if anyone is familiar with them. The controllers insisted it

was
me and said he tracked me flying over Westchester, I'm absolutely positive

was never in the area. He got alittle agitated when I told him I believed

was correct and he just demanded it was me for sure. I'm just curious what
anyone else would do in this case. Another aircraft came into Danbury

around
the same times from the south and I think this is a case of mistaken
identity and was accused of busting the class delta for no reason. Are

there
any actions or steps I can take against being falsely accused?

Thanks,
Chris

I agree with the others that the NASA ASRS forms and the AOPA legal are good
ideas.

If your GPS does not allow input of track data from an external source (e.g.
PC) then you should retain that track on the GPS unit as "unadulteratable"
evidence.

FYI if you would like to see you track overlaid directly onto a sectional or
other map, I would be happy to do this for you if you send me a copy of the
track file. E-mail me at jclonts AT hot dot rr dot com.

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old March 28th 04, 04:56 PM
Newps

Dan Luke wrote:

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote:
Oh, and most importantly, never, never, never talk to atc

unless you are absolutely forced to do so...They are
NOT your friend...

Dang, Denny, that's pretty harsh.

I don't share your view, but you've got a lot more time than I, so I
must suppose you base that opinion on experience. Care to share it?

No he doesn't, that's just ignorance.

Old March 28th 04, 04:57 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Dennis O'Connor wrote:

Oh, and most importantly, never, never, never talk to atc unless you are
absolutely forced to do so...

I disagree. If he *had* been talking to NY approach during this flight, they
would know for a fact that he didn't bust any airspace.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 28th 04, 05:06 PM
G.R. Patterson III

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Did you receive radar services from any ATC facility? If not, and it sounds
like you didn't, the controller is not in a position to accuse you of
anything.

Sounds to me that they tracked the violator on radar and believe the aircraft
landed at Danbury. Of course, I'm sure NY approach had nothing better to do and
couldn't possibly have mixed up his track with that of another aircraft (sarcasm
off).

In any case, that sort of thing is done on occasion in the northeast corridor.
Both Philly and NY controllers are infamous for it. I suspect the controller or
supervisor making the call was just fishing for an admission of guilt, but I
agree with the other posters about saving the track evidence, NASA report, and
AOPA's legal plan.

Old March 28th 04, 06:08 PM
C J Campbell

"Richard Hertz" wrote in message
. net...
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

No. Anyone who reads these news groups has heard things that are even more
ridiculous than that.

Shucks, I regularly post things that are more ridiculous than that.

It is quite ridiculous, though.

Old March 28th 04, 06:10 PM
C J Campbell

"Victor" wrote in message
m...
File a Nasa report.

Probably too late for that -- besides, what is he reporting? He is not
reporting a safety problem with his own flight; he did not bust the
airspace.

Old March 28th 04, 06:14 PM
C J Campbell

I do not agree that the NASA ASRS form will do you any good whatsoever.
First of all, you have already been notified of a possible violation.
Secondly, what are you going to say on it? That you heard a rumor that
somebody else might have violated airspace somewhere? Of course, it will not
hurt anything, either.

You need to get a good aviation attorney in on this as soon as possible and
don't say another word to the feds until you do.

Old March 28th 04, 07:26 PM
Bob Gardner

If there is a competition about dumb comments, yours will surely take the
gold medal.

Bob Gardner