Bizarre Fatal Accident-Suicide?

Old March 31st 04, 03:30 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, unicate (Shirley) said:
"Paul Tomblin":
As selfish as the people that want to keep
someone alive that is suffering terribly?

I never said that. Learn how to quote, idiot.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Old March 31st 04, 03:43 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote:
As selfish as the people that want to keep
someone alive that is suffering terribly?

I don't think that was the implication, nor does it apply to this

scenario.
There are other ways to go, if one chooses, without causing that much

trauma to
unsuspecting people. The pilot, the youngster, and anyone else who

witnessed
the aftermath didn't have a say in being part of that "blaze of glory." I

think
that's what was being referred to as "selfish."

Agreed, but I'm not sure that was Paul's context. I'm guesstimating that the
old man in this case did not consider other consequences of his actions. As
he was suffering from a brain tumor, that entirely possible.

A more extreme example would be the fellow a few years back that hung
himself in such a place that his estranged wife would be the one to find his
body.

Old March 31st 04, 03:47 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Tom Sixkiller" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, unicate (Shirley) said:
"Paul Tomblin":
As selfish as the people that want to keep
someone alive that is suffering terribly?

I never said that. Learn how to quote, idiot.

You said: " If I hadn't realized that suicide is an inherently selfish
and terrible thing to do others, I would have been dead 20 years ago."

I know what I said. "Shirley" stated that I said something entirely
different.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Old March 31st 04, 05:56 PM
Shirley

(Paul Tomblin):

I never said that. Learn how to quote, idiot.

I apologize for the error in attribution, but it was an honest mistake. Nice of
you to point it out so politely.

Old March 31st 04, 06:49 PM
Robert M. Gary

darwin smith wrote in message ink.net...
Aardvark wrote:

EL CAJON – An 88-year-old man ended a half-hour rental ride in a
biplane yesterday by jumping to his death and landing in an apartment
patio in view of horrified witnesses, authorities said.

Ordinarily I'd be more sympathetic to the man's plight and to his
family, but in this
case (and based only on what's been posted here so far) I'd say the man was
completely selfish and inconsiderate. In exchange for ending any pain,
suffering,
and uncertainty he might be facing in his life, he caused a great deal
of emotional
pain and suffering in the lives of countless others.

If he was really dying of this cancer it seems pretty selfish for
"countless" others to want him to live in his misery for their
benefit. In the U.S. we have a seriously distorted cultural adversness
to suicide. Too much catholicism. I applaud the guy. He took control
of his destiny and did what he wanted to do.

-Robert

-Robert
Old March 31st 04, 07:25 PM
Gig Giacona

om...

Aardvark wrote:

[...]

I don't care what illness the guy had. The was he chose to end his life put
many people, both those that he knew and even more he didn't know, in very
real danger.

GigG

Old March 31st 04, 07:31 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Gig Giacona wrote:

I don't care what illness the guy had. The was he chose to end his life put
many people, both those that he knew and even more he didn't know, in very
real danger.

Yes, and the shock of having half a torso land on your patio is not something I would
wish on anyone (or, at least, the list of people on whom I would wish it is very
short).

George Patterson
Treason is ne'er successful, Sir; what then be the reason? Why, if treason
be successful, Sir, then none dare call it treason.
Old March 31st 04, 09:11 PM
Peter R.

Robert M. Gary ) wrote:

If he was really dying of this cancer it seems pretty selfish for
"countless" others to want him to live in his misery for their
benefit. In the U.S. we have a seriously distorted cultural adversness
to suicide. Too much catholicism. I applaud the guy. He took control
of his destiny and did what he wanted to do.

Fine. Then kill yourself in the comfort of your own home.

This old man's blaze of glory could have resulted in the deaths of others,
including the pilot who became distracted attempting to save the man's life
as well as other, truly innocent victims on the ground. And to those who
caught a glimpse of the severed torso or the man's intestines splashed on
the ground?

Where I live there is a large shopping mall that has a wide opening seven
stories high in the center. In each of the four corners of this large
opening is a glass elevator.

One week before Easter a few years ago, a distraught, middle-aged woman
climbed out over the railing and dove to her death several floors below.

She landed literally a yard or two from a line of children waiting to see
the Easter bunny. Her blood and body parts splashed several of the
children.

Would you applaud that blaze of glory? How about if your four-year old
daughter was one of the children who needed the woman's brains washed out
of her pretty, golden hair?

IMO, the old man was quite wrong in the method of his death, not in his
decision to do commit suicide.

--
Peter

Old March 31st 04, 09:44 PM
S Green

Aardvark wrote:

[...]

Should have blown his brains out with a gun rather than traumatise a pilot.