Starting Engine Question (O-320, Warrior)

Old March 31st 04, 06:29 PM
Bob Gardner

Lisa, go to http://www.lycoming.textron.com/supp...ons/index.html for the
straight skinny from the engine manufacturer.

Bob Gardner

"Lisa" wrote in message ...
My question refers to Warrior IIs, but could be about other
Lycoming O-320 and O-360 engines with electric fuel pumps too.

I've noticed checklists on some Warriors tell you to turn the
electric fuel pump ON and leave it on for starting, and others
tell you to turn the fuel pump ON, check pressure, then OFF
before starting.

The actual P.O.H. I've seen says to turn the fuel pump on before
start but doesn't even mention to check the fuel pressure to make
sure that the electric pump works. It doesn't say when to turn
the fuel pump off, except during the run-up to turn it off so the
pressure can be checked. All in all, the checklists in the
actual P.O.H. aren't very impressive and seem to leave a lot of
important stuff out. They don't even remind you to shut off the
cabin heat/defrost before starting to protect you in case there
is a fire during start.

So why the different schools of thought? It doesn't seem
necessary to leave the pump on for taxi, as the POH suggests.
But should the fuel pump be on while cranking? What does
everybody do?

Old March 31st 04, 06:33 PM
John Galban

"Chris Hoffmann" wrote in message ...

Thinking about your comment about shutting off cabin heat/defrost before
starting, I could see this being an issue in airplanes where the carburetor
is mounted underneath the engine, as flames could travel up into the cabin
air duct. The way the carburetor is mounted on the Warrior's engine, I think
this is far less likely to happen.

OK, I'll bite. Where exactly is the carb mounted on your Warrior?
I don't think I've seen a carburated, horizontally opposed aircraft
engine that didn't have the carb mounted on the bottom. I'm sure
there may be a few, but they're not common.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old March 31st 04, 07:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

John Galban wrote:

OK, I'll bite. Where exactly is the carb mounted on your Warrior?
I don't think I've seen a carburated, horizontally opposed aircraft
engine that didn't have the carb mounted on the bottom. I'm sure
there may be a few, but they're not common.

Many Lycomings have it behind the engine.

George Patterson
Treason is ne'er successful, Sir; what then be the reason? Why, if treason
be successful, Sir, then none dare call it treason.
Old April 1st 04, 06:45 AM
Cockpit Colin

Ah, sorry - I saw O-360 and thought IO-360 for some strange reason.