3rd Class Medical

Old January 31st 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Slez via AviationKB.com

Default 3rd Class Medical

Hi! I am new to this particular forum, but have been visiting one of the
others in the network for some time. I'm looking for opinions on my 3rd
Class Medical status.

My last physical was in 2005, and given that you need to renew it every 3
years, I am due in 2008. I turn 40 in September of this year and at 40 or
older, it's back to the 2 year interval. At my last physical, the doctor
suggested that I get another one before I turn 40 because of the change from
3 to 2 years. It doesn't really make sense, because as it is, I would be
required to go when I'm 40, and then 42, 44 etc.

If I follow the doctor's advice, I'd be going at 39, then 42, 44, etc., so in
the overall picture it really doesn't change things for me. This puzzles me
why my doctor would make such a recommendation.

So my question is ultimately this:
After 40, do the 3rd Class Medical standards change? Are the vision
requirements the same?

I look forward to others' thoughts on this topic!
Slez

Old January 31st 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 1/31/2007 9:59:54 AM, "Slez via AviationKB.com" wrote:

So my question is ultimately this:
After 40, do the 3rd Class Medical standards change? Are the vision
requirements the same?

I had my first "40 and older" medical a year and a half ago, and as far as I
could tell, the standards were the same.

The only way to get a free year out of the deal would be to get your medical
at 39 and 11 months, which means you wouldn't have to go back until 42 and 11
months.

--
Peter
Old January 31st 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Slez via AviationKB.com" u23064@uwe wrote in message

My last physical was in 2005, and given that you need to renew it every 3
years, I am due in 2008. I turn 40 in September of this year and at 40 or
older, it's back to the 2 year interval. At my last physical, the doctor
suggested that I get another one before I turn 40 because of the change
from
3 to 2 years. It doesn't really make sense, because as it is, I would be
required to go when I'm 40, and then 42, 44 etc.

You don't say in what month you're due.

Let's say, for example, you're due in April. If you get another physical in
September (before your birthday) of 2007, you'll be due again in September
of 2010. If you go in April of 2008, you're due again in April of 2010. What
you're buying is the difference between your due date, and your next
birthday.

So my question is ultimately this:
After 40, do the 3rd Class Medical standards change? Are the vision
requirements the same?

The Doc swears the vision requirements are the same, but I suspect he's
making the letters smaller each time I go

Old January 31st 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Slez via AviationKB.com

Thanks for the reply!
The way I see it, I'm really not getting a "free year" because as it
currently is now, I'm scheduled to go at 40 and 11 months, then 42 and 11
months, so I'd just be getting a physical a year sooner.
Slez

Old January 31st 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ktbr

Steve Foley wrote:

The Doc swears the vision requirements are the same, but I suspect he's
making the letters smaller each time I go

What letters?
Old January 31st 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The letters are the same size, they just turn the lights
down,

Old February 1st 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Slez via AviationKB.com wrote:

If I follow the doctor's advice, I'd be going at 39, then 42, 44, etc., so in
the overall picture it really doesn't change things for me. This puzzles me
why my doctor would make such a recommendation.

Puzzles me too. The number of exams remains the same, you're just
moving one up a year...he must be hard up for the fee.

So my question is ultimately this:
After 40, do the 3rd Class Medical standards change? Are the vision
requirements the same?

There are age differences for anything on the third.

SPORTS CLASS/CLUB CLASS 5 ugly Soaring 0 July 2nd 06 11:14 PM
Carrying flight gear on the airlines Peter MacPherson Piloting 20 November 25th 04 12:29 AM