US Citizen relocating to Canada

Old January 25th 05, 10:13 AM
Dude

For the record, it would be a 2 to 3 year assignment. I would then be
returning to the US.

Old January 25th 05, 07:29 PM
Dave

"Dude" wrote in message
For the record, it would be a 2 to 3 year assignment. I would then be
returning to the US.

Dude, this look like the last place to get any coherent information

Old January 25th 05, 07:52 PM
Jay Somerset

Sorry, Dude, I may have misled you.

Duties are only applicable for a returning Canadian resident. If you have
never resided in Canada before, then you are either a "visitor" or an
"immigrant. In either of those two cases, your personal property is exempt
from duty, irrespective of value. However, you may be constrained from
selling any of it before your return.

If you read the online stuff for immigration, then you read the right thing.
There is a separate document for returning residents.
Sorry, for the confusion.

"On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:54:27 GMT, "Dude" wrote:

Jay,

Are those regulations on line anywhere?

I read the regs online for bringing your car, and I am still in the dark.

I guess I don't read bureaucratize real well.

Thanks

"Jay Somerset" wrote in message
On 23 Jan 2005 17:54:16 -0800, wrote:

I think Dude will be releived to know the main point: NO DUTY OR TAXES.
In SD here
they charge minimal annual registration fees. This may not be the case
for the
provinces. But we are talking about trivial issues now ($55/year)
compared to Jay's duty and tax rumour scare.

Not a rumour -- check out the regulations. I have just gone through the
whole process, and I know of someone who built a large sailboat abroad
(value $250,000) who cannot bring it back to Canada because of the duties
involved.

Old January 25th 05, 08:16 PM
Dude

Jay,

Thanks for double checking and the apology. We can now add you to the list
of high character individuals who have posted on usenet to clear up a
mistake.

Congrats, its a small club!

Old January 25th 05, 09:21 PM

If you're moving to British Columbia, you'll want to see if they want
Provincial Sales Tax on that airplane. My uncle moved from Alberta to
BC (right next door!) and the BC government sent him a bill for 7% of
the value of his Champ. He didn't even have the airplane with him; I
had it here in Alberta the whole time he lived in BC. He had quite a
battle with them over it. And won, too.

Dan

Old January 29th 05, 01:00 AM
Jay Somerset

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:16:29 GMT, "Dude" wrote:

Jay,

Thanks for double checking and the apology. We can now add you to the list
of high character individuals who have posted on usenet to clear up a
mistake.

Congrats, its a small club!

I feel honoured to be in such select company. :-)

[...]

Could Canada Build Charles Talleyrand Military Aviation 22 July 11th 04 10:05 PM
Enroute charts valid for use in Canada? Andrew Sarangan Instrument Flight Rules 3 June 3rd 04 06:34 PM
Flying into Canada Don Tuite Owning 2 March 16th 04 08:08 AM
French block airlift of British troops to Basra Michael Petukhov Military Aviation 202 October 24th 03 06:48 PM
Reflections on first trip to Canada from US Mike & Janet Larke Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 12:57 AM