This and That

Old July 7th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

Default This and That

Two questions:

1. As I load my car for a trip to the airfield for
one day of flying, I wonder how the families loaded
up for a week or two of competition, back in the day
when families went to the competition. From the book
about Dick Schreder, written by his daughter (an EXCELLENT
book, by the way, called '10,000 Feet and Climbing')
I understand that the whole family attended the contests.
So, in the 60's and 70's and maybe the early 80's,
how in the world did the competitors get all their
stuff not only for themselves but for their families
in their cars? Were they driving big land yachts back
then? I wouldn't think so. I have a mental image
of big ol' station wagons (I think they are called
estate cars or shooting brakes in the UK???) loaded
to the gills and pulling some big trailer. Maybe a
roof rack full of stuff?

Heck, my car is full when I, traveling alone, go for
a week. Maybe it's a good thing my wife doesn't go,
because I would have to buy a bigger car to take her
and her stuff.

2. Chip Garner mentioned the Europeans have a buggier
problem than we do in America. And their bugs end
up contaminating their wings much more so there than
they do here. So, why is it, at least in Germany and
Belgium where I lived for a total of five years (thank
you , oh thank you, U.S. Air Force!), their homes don't
have insect screens?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
(As you might expect, I'm not flying today due to thunderstorms
around the area...)