A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LX Navigation Traffic Monitor or LXNAV-TrafficView?

Old December 4th 20, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

Default LX Navigation Traffic Monitor or LXNAV-TrafficView?

As I'm considering ordering the new Flarm Fusion, I wonder which (80 mm) display to go for. The two mentioned in the topic line have similar features and price. Pros and cons? What are the 'Voice alerts' like with the LX Navigation? Anyone could share his/her experience, please? Thanks in advance. Tom BravoMike
Old December 4th 20, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 6:20:59 PM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:
As I'm considering ordering the new Flarm Fusion, I wonder which (80 mm) display to go for. The two mentioned in the topic line have similar features and price. Pros and cons? What are the 'Voice alerts' like with the LX Navigation? Anyone could share his/her experience, please? Thanks in advance. Tom BravoMike

My only experience is with the 57 mm Traffic View. Only problem is that it is so small, and the font so tiny, that it is practically useless until other aircraft get pretty close. You are going with 80 mm which should be much better with either piece of equipment. I mention this here in case others are considering the 57 mm Traffic View. Cannot recommend it.
Old December 4th 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 3:20:59 PM UTC-8, Tom BravoMike wrote:

Checkout the Air-Avionics 80mm, 57mm or rectangular. Very viewable even in the 57mm.

http://www.craggyaero.com/air_traffic_display.htm

Screen views on this page.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old December 4th 20, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

On 12/4/20 8:50 AM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Checkout the Air-Avionics 80mm, 57mm or rectangular. Very viewable even in the 57mm.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

I use a Flarmview with the black background. I found it much easier to
read than the white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGQgwp41AKw

--
Dan
5J
Old December 4th 20, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, 4 December 2020 at 17:23:31 UTC, Dan Marotta wrote:
On 12/4/20 8:50 AM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

I use a Flarmview with the black background. I found it much easier to
read than the white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGQgwp41AKw

--
Dan
5J

I use a Nano4 as my primary PowerFlarm display and secondarily as my back-up logger and back-up Nav computer/Map display. It gives me much the same Flarm function as a Flarmview but the display is much larger - and I get the 2 backup functions cheaper than with separates.
Old December 4th 20, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_36_]
external usenet poster

I Love my trafficview in my new glider. My old glider had flarmview which was too small to be useful except in risk awareness situations with the alarms which worked. If you have the 80mmm, trafficview is great for being able to see what the other gliders are doing and where they are. It feels a little like cheating.
Old December 4th 20, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
external usenet poster

I have had the FlarmView and now have the TrafficView (57mm) in my panel. They both provide an audio alert (no voice annunciator). The TrafficView has better graphics and is the brighter of the two. That being said a 57mm is pretty small for me to read in flight.

I much prefer my ClearNav showing the traffic's relative position and, more importantly, gives a clear voice annunciation of the the location of the target. I.E. "11 o'clock low". I can then keep my head out of the cockpit looking for traffic rather than staring at a screen.

My $0.02.

- John OHM
Old December 6th 20, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

On Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 5:20:59 PM UTC-6, Tom BravoMike wrote:

Thanks to all who have responded. I agree that the 57 mm displays are too tiny and want to use an available 80 mm hole in the panel. I lean toward the LX Navigation Traffic Monitor but have to read the manual once again to make sure.
Tom BravoMike