A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Military Aviation
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

biggest military airport in the world



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 5th 04, 01:00 AM
David Anderson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default biggest military airport in the world

Does anyone know which military airport has the most runways and which
one has the longest runway? The Rogers Lakebed portion of Edwards Air
Force Base in Southern California has at least 15 (paved and unpaved)
runways, one of which has a paved length of more than 15,000 feet
(~4,500 metres) with an unpaved overrun of almost 10,000 feet (i.e.,
an additional 3,000 metres). Another (unpaved) "runway", number
17-35, is more than 7 miles long (~39,000 feet or ~11,700 metres in
length). Does anyone know of a military (or civilian) airport with
more runways or a longer runway? I believe the longest paved runway
in North America is Runway 16R-34L at Denver International Airport at
16,000 feet long (~4,800 metres); the airport with the longest paved
runway in the world is Banda Airport in eastern Tibet at 18,045 feet
in length (~4,400 metres); this one is also said to be the highest
airport in the world at a field elevation of 15,548 feet (~4,650
metres) above sea level.
Ads
  #3  
Old January 5th 04, 11:04 AM
Cub Driver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


I once calculated that a man standing at one end of Rogers Dry Lake
couldn't see a man at the other end, because of the curvature of the
earth.

Of course, with that hot weather, you *need* a bit of extra length....


all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
  #4  
Old January 5th 04, 05:25 PM
Ken Duffey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

David Anderson wrote:

Does anyone know which military airport has the most runways and which
one has the longest runway? The Rogers Lakebed portion of Edwards Air
Force Base in Southern California has at least 15 (paved and unpaved)
runways, one of which has a paved length of more than 15,000 feet
(~4,500 metres) with an unpaved overrun of almost 10,000 feet (i.e.,
an additional 3,000 metres). Another (unpaved) "runway", number
17-35, is more than 7 miles long (~39,000 feet or ~11,700 metres in
length). Does anyone know of a military (or civilian) airport with
more runways or a longer runway? I believe the longest paved runway
in North America is Runway 16R-34L at Denver International Airport at
16,000 feet long (~4,800 metres); the airport with the longest paved
runway in the world is Banda Airport in eastern Tibet at 18,045 feet
in length (~4,400 metres); this one is also said to be the highest
airport in the world at a field elevation of 15,548 feet (~4,650
metres) above sea level.


The main runway (VPP-4) at Ramenskoye - now called Zhukovski - near
Moscow, is 5403 m (17,726 ft) in length.

Width is 84m (276 ft). Depth is 85cm (33.5 in) - another runway - VPP-1 -
is 180cm (5ft 11in) thick!!!

According to Volume 7 of International Air Power Review - page 87 - VPP-4
is the world's longest concrete runway.

The whole complex at Zhukovsky covers 2.5 million sq m - (618 acres).

What does 'paved' mean in your reference to Banda airport ?? - also if
5403 metres translates to 17,726ft - how come your 4650 metres converts to
18,045 ft ?? Typo ??

I'm just asking - I haven't done the math................

I suppose we also ought to define 'paved' - as opposed to 'concrete' ??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++
Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website - http://www.flankers.co.uk/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++


  #5  
Old January 5th 04, 08:41 PM
James Hart
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Ken Duffey wrote:
David Anderson wrote:

Does anyone know which military airport has the most runways and
which one has the longest runway? The Rogers Lakebed portion of
Edwards Air Force Base in Southern California has at least 15 (paved
and unpaved) runways, one of which has a paved length of more than
15,000 feet (~4,500 metres) with an unpaved overrun of almost 10,000
feet (i.e., an additional 3,000 metres). Another (unpaved)
"runway", number 17-35, is more than 7 miles long (~39,000 feet or
~11,700 metres in length). Does anyone know of a military (or
civilian) airport with more runways or a longer runway? I believe
the longest paved runway in North America is Runway 16R-34L at
Denver International Airport at 16,000 feet long (~4,800 metres);
the airport with the longest paved runway in the world is Banda
Airport in eastern Tibet at 18,045 feet in length (~4,400 metres);
this one is also said to be the highest airport in the world at a
field elevation of 15,548 feet (~4,650 metres) above sea level.


The main runway (VPP-4) at Ramenskoye - now called Zhukovski - near
Moscow, is 5403 m (17,726 ft) in length.


Who designs things like this? I can understand them building one 5000m long,
maybe add 400m more for luck but why stick that last 3m on there?

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk


  #6  
Old January 5th 04, 08:53 PM
Tex Houston
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"James Hart" wrote in message
...
Who designs things like this? I can understand them building one 5000m

long,
maybe add 400m more for luck but why stick that last 3m on there?

--
James...



3m...isn't that suspiciously close to ten feet?

Tex


  #7  
Old January 5th 04, 09:14 PM
James Hart
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Tex Houston wrote:
"James Hart" wrote in message
...
Who designs things like this? I can understand them building one
5000m long, maybe add 400m more for luck but why stick that last 3m
on there?

--
James...



3m...isn't that suspiciously close to ten feet?


If we're going off the imperial measurements then it's 17,726. Who put the
extra 26 foot on.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk


  #8  
Old January 5th 04, 10:04 PM
Cub Driver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Who designs things like this? I can understand them building one 5000m long,
maybe add 400m more for luck but why stick that last 3m on there?


A lot of American airports are multiples of 1000 feet, plus one foot.
It is believed that it has to do with insurance.


all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
  #9  
Old January 5th 04, 11:19 PM
Steven P. McNicoll
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"James Hart" wrote in message
...

Who designs things like this? I can understand them building one 5000m

long,
maybe add 400m more for luck but why stick that last 3m on there?


Perhaps it was measured on a warm day.


  #10  
Old January 6th 04, 12:12 AM
Pete
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Ken Duffey" wrote


The main runway (VPP-4) at Ramenskoye - now called Zhukovski - near
Moscow, is 5403 m (17,726 ft) in length.

Width is 84m (276 ft). Depth is 85cm (33.5 in) - another runway - VPP-1 -
is 180cm (5ft 11in) thick!!!


Is that the design thickness, or the actual, finished construction
thickness...

Pete


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speech: World War II Military Pilots Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 31st 03 05:06 AM
Updated List of Military Information-Exchange Forums Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 29th 03 02:20 AM
List of News, Discussion and Info Exchange forums Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 November 14th 03 05:01 AM
USAF = US Amphetamine Fools RT Military Aviation 104 September 25th 03 03:17 PM
U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world John Mullen Military Aviation 149 September 22nd 03 03:42 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.