floats

Old May 16th 04, 05:11 PM
el gran cantinflas

Default floats

I don't know anything about floats, but I was looking at this auction
today:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8689 653&rd=1

I was wondering if you could actually land on the water using those
floats, or if that would be a genuinely bad idea?

tia
ref

Old May 16th 04, 07:27 PM
Bart

Those floats are pop-out emergency floats, not utility floats.

Yes you can land on water with them in an emergency, and the chopper
will supposedly stay upright if the seas are not too high. Don't
get floats if you don't need them. Maintenance is high with them.

Bart

Old May 18th 04, 08:14 AM
Mike Th...

We operate a 407, 206 and an AS355 all on pop out floats. The maintenance is
costs are higher and there is usually a weight penalty. On the R-44 there is
the added disadvantage of having the bottle under one of the seats, that's a
lot of space to lose.

Old May 24th 04, 06:19 AM
Sal

I've worked on many hekicopter models with pop out floats. Float
inspections are not fast and man hours do cost, Thaey can and do work.
Occasionally due to various reasons, only ONE float will deploy. INSTANT
inversion upon water landing GUARANTEED. SO,,,when your mind is ready for a
water landing and you squeeze the trigger, that HAS TO BE KEPT IN MIND so it
won't shock the **** out of you. OF COURSE. your passengers are the other
story. Play THAT tape a few times.

Bob