Flight Instructor Revalidation Clinic - Frederick Maryland Feb 11 - 12

Old January 31st 12, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_12_]

Default Flight Instructor Revalidation Clinic - Frederick Maryland Feb 11 - 12

For those of you attending the FAA approved Flight Instructor
Revalidation Clinic in Frederick, Maryland Feb 11 / 12: please send me
an email so I can send you driving directions.

All flight instructors for all types of aircraft can revalidate their
rating by attending this event (and passing the required tests.)

It is also open to any pilot who desires to learn more about glider
flying and glider safety. There is a fee of $150 for the two day
event. Please email me to add your name to the list.

Tom Knauff

Old February 1st 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Jan 31, 12:39*pm, Tom wrote:
For those of you attending the FAA approved Flight Instructor
Revalidation Clinic in Frederick, Maryland Feb 11 / 12: please send me
an email so I can send you driving directions.

All flight instructors for all types of aircraft can revalidate their
rating by attending this event (and passing the required tests.)

It is also open to any pilot who desires to learn more about glider
flying and glider safety. There is a fee of $150 for the two day
event. Please email me to add your name to the list.

Tom Knauff

Tom, wrong coast for me, but I am due this spring.
But now that you're webinar is over, what is the final discussion on
91.121 and setting the altimeter to zero?

Old February 1st 12, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_12_]

Tom, wrong coast for me, but I am due this spring.
But now that you're webinar is over, what is the final discussion on
91.121 and setting the altimeter to zero?

On-going discussions with the FAA. The intent of the FAR is not the
issue.
The problem is the use of the English language which allows some to
make an incorrect interpretation. The FAR wording needs changed.

This just one example of the problem. As many of you know, the FAA's
version of the Glider Flying Handbook must have been written by a 9th
grader, which allows some to misunderstand the intent of the content,
or believe it is factual.

The edited version I made available has more than 1,400 editorial
changes - many extremely important, safety related issues.
Unfortunately, most student glider pilots are using the FAA version,
and therefore, the incorrect information still contributes to glider
accidents.

The FAA will attend this next FIRC.

Tom Knauff

Old February 2nd 12, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Feb 1, 3:27*am, Tom wrote:
[...]

Thanks Tom,
When it comes check ride time, the FAA DPE will reference the FAA
publication.
Sadly not all CFIs or students have access to the 1,400 editorial
changes.

There should be no question about not referencing the altimeter to
MSL.
Come out west, you can't zero the altimeter at ground level.
Any CFi that teaches that for "local ops" should be shot.
The student should be taught from his first lesson to do mental math.