How do you stop SPAM

Old July 31st 03, 03:07 PM
Mark Busse

Default How do you stop SPAM

How do you put thoes "DELETE_THIS_TO_REPLY" lines in your address? I
went to the change address screen for my account, but I see my last
post has my un-edited address.
Old August 1st 03, 06:40 AM
tango4

How do you stop SPAM?

Disconnect from the internet

Ian

Old August 1st 03, 08:16 AM
iPilot

I use Cloudmark's Spamnet. Works. 99,9% clean.

Regards,
Kaido

Old August 1st 03, 08:32 AM
Marc Till

Looks like you posted through Google (which I do not and don't know how
to do that)

Basicly, when posting on a newsgroup, you have two addresses on which
you should have control :

One is the "FROM" address, which is the one that gets retrieved by
spammers and therefore shoud be modified. Rather than adding text in the
real address, you should make it look like an address on the spammer's
local server :
] (see my "FROM" address as an example)
This will cause the spammer's mail server to return a "non-existing
user" message.

The other one is the "REPLY TO" address, which is said to be safer, in
which you can leave your real address, so that people can join you.

If you use both addresses, people willing to reply will use the real
one, whereas spammers will hopefully use the modified one.

Hope this helps

Marc Till

Old August 1st 03, 05:40 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Mark Busse" wrote in message
om...
How do you put thoes "DELETE_THIS_TO_REPLY" lines in your address? I
went to the change address screen for my account, but I see my last
post has my un-edited address.

Not sure you can post through Google with a spoofed e-mail as you must
create a Google account with a legitimate e-mail initially I think.

Does netzero.net have NNTP servers? Probably not, at least I couldn't
resolve one. A news posting client with an ISP that hosts NNTP and you
could spoof the right hand side of the equation, but it may cost a bit more.
Don't confuse full access ISPs with discount or content providers, they are
vastly different.

I also use www.mailarmory.com, another solution is www.postini.com, AFAIK
both require your ISP to subscribe. I can assure you, with some user
attention, mailarmory.com does as it claims and there's nothing to install
on the client box, also bandwidth is not wasted (important in this area
where rural dial-ups rip along at 26,400bps max and wireless is only just
becoming more than an idea).

Frank Whiteley

Old August 1st 03, 11:07 PM
ken ward

step 1: adopt new email protocols which will refuse to forward any
outgoing email with a fake return address. we need to prevent spam from
getting out onto the network, not just prevent it from being delivered
to our own mailboxes (which is about all we can attempt to do right
now).

Ken

Overnight stop near AUS & ELP ROBIN FLY Piloting 4 December 12th 04 08:30 AM
(OT Spam) Statement on Spam and VoteNader.org Roger Halstead Restoration 0 April 10th 04 07:03 PM
GOOGLE Spam Doug Simulators 10 September 28th 03 12:06 PM
OT - not airplanes but short - good anti spam program Duane MacInnis Piloting 5 July 14th 03 10:23 AM