Soliciting Testimonials on Covering Systems

Old August 13th 03, 06:08 PM
Larry Smith

Default Soliciting Testimonials on Covering Systems

Stits (Polyfiber) versus Airtech versus Superflite versus Blue River
(Aircraft Finishing Systems)

Are there any more? We're thinking about abandoning Polyfiber and going to
Airtech and want expecially to hear testimony about Airtech. It's supposed
to filter out UV rather than reflect it like Polyfiber does with the
aluminum flake paint called Polyspray. And it appears not to be as
labor-intensive as Polyfiber.

http://airtechcoatings.com/fabricdummies.html

BTW, if ol' BoOb from M-Zoora hadda known about UV his harness wuddna fell
apart.

BTW2, we have a ragwing Piper here with Blue River on it. Gack!

Oldcopper, young fella, I tried to be on topic this time. That dadburn
wallerin' M-Zoora porker is always a vexatious distractin' influence,
disturbin' all the good subjects. And he couldn't even build a pigpen fit
to hold a fat sow in. So he has flew for 5 or 6 decades, but think how much
DDT and parquat he's huffed.

Old August 14th 03, 04:19 AM
Bob Olds

"Larry Smith" wrote in message ...
[...]

Try for Razorbac permanent fabric. The
U.S. Gov't uses it on fabric control surfaces.

Bob Olds A&P , EAA Tech Counselor
RV-4 , N1191X
Charleston,Arkansas
Real Aviators Fly Taildraggers

Old August 15th 03, 08:11 PM
Richard Lamb

Robert, Ceconite (or any dacron fabric, for that matter,
does NOT requuire any annual tests for deterioration.

Robert Little wrote:

Yes, RAZORBACK FABRIC is still producing for the govt. and anyone else that
wants a permanent fabric covering that does not require any annual tests for
deterioration as all other fabrics do. It does weigh more than most GA
fabrics in use at 3.6 oz/yrd but that weight is required on fast, heavy and
aerobatic aircraft (see AC 43.13-1B). Even at that, it is still 17% lighter
than Grade A and 300% stronger and being made of 100% silica glass fabric,
it does not burn, rot, or deteriorate in acid rain or UV. It is still the
only authorized synthetic fabric for use by our military under T.O.1-1A-11
and we sell quite a bit to several militaries each year.
It is applied using the blanket method using butyrate dope to cement it,
taunten it and to seal it. After that, you can top coat it with what ever
you want. The finished product is cheaper than polyesters and is considered
permanent by the FAA. It is FAA-PMA'd, FAA-STC'd, MIL SPEC and ISO 9002. If
you haven't heard of it, that's okay, because we don't over-charge in order
to pay for million dollar ads in the magazines.
If interested, drop us a line.
Sincerely,
Robert T. Little
RAZORBACK FABRICS, INC.
2179 Elmont Road
Maynard, AR 72444
870-647-2622,

Old August 16th 03, 02:03 AM
Paul Lee

"Larry Smith" wrote in message ...
Stits (Polyfiber) versus Airtech versus Superflite versus Blue River
(Aircraft Finishing Systems)
Airtech .... It's supposed
to filter out UV rather than reflect it like Polyfiber does with the
aluminum flake paint called Polyspray....

How does something "filter-out" radiation and neither reflect nor absorb it?
If it absorbs it - even though it doesnt let it through - it will raise
the surface temperature.

Paul Lee, SQ2000 canard project: www.abri.com/sq2000
Old August 18th 03, 06:11 AM
Robert Little

Dear Mr. Lamb:

Check your FAR under Appendix D to Part 43 (b) Each person performing an
annual or 100-hour inspection shall inspect (where applicable) the following
components of the fuselage and hull group: (1) Fabric and skin-for
deterioration, distortion, other evidence of failure, and defective or
insecure attachment of fittings. Then you can go further to the AC
43.13-1B to find out how to check the deterioration in detail. RAZOBACK
FABRICS in the only fabric producer with a letter from the FAA stating that
it does not require deterioation testing as all other fabris do under this
regulation. Our decals on the aircraft declare that. This is important to
the A&Ps and IAs so that they don't put their tickets in danger everytime a
RAZORBACK covered aircraft leaves their shops.

Now, taking one manual as an example, the Poly Fiber manual Procedure No.1,
Revision 16 April 1996, Appendix E's 1st paragragh page 98, states,"your IA
will certify the airworthiness of the fabric. Aircraft fabric airworthiness
is measured in breaking strength." It goes forther and give great details
on the next two pages on the methods of destructive testing of the polyester
fabric. The reason? The last line on page 99 states, "Polyester will not
rot, but without enough silver, it will flunk in short order." What is
considered short order? Is silver coating an ultimate UV screen? How
thick, 4 mils or 6 or more? Now, where did you get your information in
writing? What does your FSDO think about testing polyester, cotton, linen
and glass fabrics? What regulation will they site when asked? If different,
can you get it in writing so that the rest of us can use their
recomendations as law?

I just recoverd a Citabria that averaged a total recover in polyester
fabrics every 6 years (logbook entries) sitting at the Phoenix, AZ and
Cajon, CA Airport without any accident damage since it was built in 1967.
Either there was a load of poor fabric people in both locations or someone
was doing too good of a job of inspections. When our shop took in this
aircraft, it was looking very poorly.

Now Mr. Lamb, I have to live within the rules set forth and I would
appreciate any additional writtings and regulations that prove the above
statements wrong. This will allow me to reduce my obligations and
liabilities to the aviation community so that I may make more money with
less effort and caring---wrong. I have a Be-28 rudder in my shop now only
because a lineman stuck his fingers through it's poor fabric. Maybe it's IA
thought that its fabric never needed testing?

Sincerely,
Robert Little

Old August 18th 03, 09:24 AM
Richard Lamb

Talk to your AI, Robert.
Ask him what he does to comply with this.