Scarf Joints

Old December 14th 03, 07:01 PM
Flyhighdave

Default Scarf Joints

I'm building an all wood airplane. The skin is 1/32, 1/16 & 1/8 plywood. Do the
scarf joints that are required to join the plywood together need to fall on the
underlying structure or can they be located where the plywood spans the
structural members? Thanks!
David
Old December 16th 03, 05:53 AM
Dick Kurtz

In my All wooden project the designer has the scarf joints located on
the underlying structural members. Infact, the underlying members
have extra spruce laminated to the sides of them to support a greater
width of the joint. After building the craft I think it would be
difficult, especially with the thinner materials to get a nice
transition if the joint were "floating" Structurally I don't see a
problem as long as the joint is well constructed. You may want to
take a deeper look into your plans and see it they reccomend locations
for the scarf joints.

Orval Fairbairn wrote in message .. .
In article ,
(Flyhighdave) wrote:

I'm building an all wood airplane. The skin is 1/32, 1/16 & 1/8 plywood. Do
the
scarf joints that are required to join the plywood together need to fall on
the
underlying structure or can they be located where the plywood spans the
structural members? Thanks!
David

Check Manual 18. Scarf joints can be anywhere == as long as they are of
the required angle (12:1 minimum) and are properly glued (good
compression along the length of the joint).